Snailproof Surface Plants?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Last year I dug out a small pond in our back garden. Circa 3m x 2m, stepped down on stages to a main depth of maybe 800mm or so. All was going well until the dreaded blanket weed appeared. Now it's a constant battle to try and keep it at bay. The pond has zero shade and minimal plants at the moment. I understand that a good way to get rid of the weed is to create more shade by planting surface plants such as water soldiers, etc? Unfortunately we now have hundreds of pond snails and after buying a batch of 10 water soldiers we discovered that the snails like to eat them. We now have happy snails and no water soldiers ... Being averse to killing things, I'd be happy to leave the snails in peace but would welcome any suggestions regarding 'snailproof' surface plants. We're trying to avoid the chemical route too if at all possible. The pond has no fish in as we decided to try and leave it as a wildlife pond and see what moved in. We added daphnia and then pond and ramshorn snails to start off. Nice to see that we have a pair of smooth newts which have just appeared. Any suggestions as well as the surface plants would be welcome.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Dave S !

You have part of the solution correct - the plants will control the algae by sucking up the excess nutrients that are currently feeding all that algae. People often blame the sunshine for algae overgrowth - correlation vs causation - and recognize that plants help cut it down, so they assume it's the shade. Remember - algae is not to be "dreaded". You simply need to observe it's there and then address the reasons why. More plants is always the solution, but aeration can help, too. Do you have a waterfall or airstone in the pond?

You say "blanket weed" - do you mean string type algae? Or is this the carpet algae that covers all the surfaces underwater? So algae is very very good and useful, while other types can become a nuisance or an eyesore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Lisa and thanks for taking the time to reply.
The stuff we have is like 'silkweed', whatever the correct terminology is? Presumably string algae would be the right call. It can be lifted out in long strands resembling, well, silken threads I guess.. It's grown rapidly and entangled itself around all of the underwater plants as opposed to floating on the surface. We put some hornwort in to try and help but the weed has just taken over and entangled itself around there too. I keep getting a stick and twirling it around to collect the weed and then have to sort through it to get the hornwort, snails, water fleas, dragonfly larvae etc etc out before dumping the weed in the compost bin. It would be nice if the snails would eat the weed instead of the water soldiers which cost £27 for 10! Apparently if we introduce plenty of surface plants it will help to address the problem but we don't know what to buy that the greedy snails won't scoff.

We have no aeriation at all in the pond as we just wanted to leave it as it was and see what came to live there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
there are no snail proof plants that I know of; you might get some fake lily leaves to help with shade. That said, if you get enough floaters, the snails won't out compete the floaters and you'll get what you want. Water hyacinth and water lettuce are fast reproducers. If you have koi, they will nibble the hyacinths, less so the water lettuce.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1619299219543.gif
and welcome @Dave S

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't know what water soldiers are - can you tell me in English? :ROFLMAO:

I guess part of what you get when you "see what will move in" is lots of algae. I'm guessing the pond has a lot of nutrients from decaying organic matter and that's what's feeding the string algae. More plants is the answer. As for the snails - same answer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I would add some sort of aeration, lest ye be besieged by mosquitoes. Mosquitoes won't breed in moving water. And other critters like oxygenated water. Nothing fancy, just something to keep the water moving.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The problem with a wild life pond is without higher life forms and completing the circle something will thrive and often in abundance as it may not have the preditor to keep th e m in check. In your case no fish and you have a snail explosion. Adding a clown loach will probably get the snails in check in time and where you have a few hundred it will probably take some time to get them under control

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We all get blanket algae covering everything in the early Spring. Some also get string algae. My pond has both right now, but I know it will dissipate once all the plants mature.

Ask a Question