Snails in My Pond ... Where Did They Come From?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
I've got many trapdoor snails. I added five from a local friend's pond in May, and now see many different sizes all the time. They eventually work their way down to the bottom drain, to be caught in my leaf basket. From there, I just dump them into the top of my filter (which is full of snails of all types), and let them start their journey all over again. Or whatever they want to do.

I just bought a variety of snails. Let them eat some of the green stuff that will grow some day. We have a very fine layer of algae on the bottom, other than that this pond has not yet "bloomed". We have had water in it all summer, no filtration yet, well no fish either lol

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Snails are great. The bladder snails and ramshorn and trumpet snails in my filter probably won't last the winter, but I have indoor aquariums with plenty more.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
Snails are great. The bladder snails and ramshorn and trumpet snails in my filter probably won't last the winter, but I have indoor aquariums with plenty more.

Gather them up and have an indoor winter snail pond! jk lol

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Hey hewhoisatpeace,

I like that idea. I hope you don't mind me copying that one. I believe I'm going to set up a spare twenty gallon in the house just for the trap door snails. Thanks.

Happy ponding,
Rich

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
Heck, I've already got an indoor 5g tank for breeding snails to use elswewhere. No kidding.;)

Good idea, snail breeding

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Hey, old Marine, that's cool. I've had best success with them reproducing in an unheated tank, room temperature. Just get a light, and every three or four days add a small pinch of fish flakes to keep the algae growing. They do at least keep the tank really clean.

- Old Army guy
Well, not so old ;)

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
hewhoisatpeace said:
Hey, old Marine, that's cool. I've had best success with them reproducing in an unheated tank, room temperature. Just get a light, and every three or four days add a small pinch of fish flakes to keep the algae growing. They do at least keep the tank really clean.

- Old Army guy
Well, not so old ;)

Thanks for the advice. In the past I have used the green algae waffers as a dietary suppliment for the snails.

Happy ponding,
Rich

P.S. Thank you for serving our Country.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
mfwing82 said:
I guess snails would be a good thing for my pond ???

Yes they are, they eat the algae and debris. I just ordered a bunch of snails, the trap door etc. I used the web site they mentioned, tricker.com, picked up a variety. They don't mention zones for them, hopefully they will survive our winter. Think I will send email and ask lol, now they are on their way.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
trapdoor snails survive PA winter. Bladder snails, ramshorns, and trumpet snails I'll find out next spring if they make it out there this winter.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Yes they are, they eat the algae and debris. I just ordered a bunch of snails, the trap door etc. I used the web site they mentioned, tricker.com, picked up a variety. They don't mention zones for them, hopefully they will survive our winter. Think I will send email and ask lol, now they are on their way.

Just from experience, most all snails are adaptable and will settle in on the bottom of the pond for the winter. I have never lost any snails due to cold, only under feeding or the lack of food.

Happy ponding,

Ask a Question