Snails? Winters in Michigan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm looking for fun ways to increase the biodiversity of my goldfish pond in Michigan.

I'm interested in Trapdoor snails since they will survive winter here in Michigan. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I'm also looking for more plants or animal recommendations (little-to-no care & maintenance) to add to the ecosystem now that the pond is established and in it's 5th year.

Nicely-shaded, fully-rocked pond with stream/falls, Helix skimmer. 4500 gal. Pond gets lots of nutrient load from overhead trees (yes, the string algae is a mess three months out of the year but I don't care. I never feed the fish!) 12 six-inch goldfish with another 12 fry spotted this month... Iris, pickerel

Thanks gang!
~Jared

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a lot of trapdoors they do great. Love the tiny tiny babies, all live birth. I have them in every pond now. Bought mine years ago from trickers, picked up 100 of them. Got some big ones now.

Lots of plants you can add, water willow, mint, creeping primrose, creeping jenny etc

Ask a Question