Snake invasion

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had an unwelcome guest in our garden. Perhaps I should say in our fish pond. My first clue that something was amiss was that all the frogs disappeared. Then three of my seven Shubunkin vanished and then I saw this guy.
I'm pretty sure that he's a northern water snake. He's about three and a half feet long, and he thinks that I set out a buffet for him.
How do you capture a snake that can hide, underwater, in the rock walls of the pond, for an hour and a half at a time? I contacted snake removal experts, but It turns out that nobody was willing to assist in removal of the snake because it is considered wildlife. It also happens that it is illegal to relocate a pest to another property.
The snake has been dealt with. I hate to kill anything unnecessarily, but it was my pond or him. He drowned in a minnow trap baited with a piece of raw fish.

By the way, the fish in the second photo survived the attack.
19400405_1826812330678841_7651455150306550729_o.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Another option is to bait the trap , where it's partially submerged....keeping the top portion above water. Even though it's illegal to relocate the caught snake to another place........who would know ? :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
animal control takes removes things like that here and i live in the country .If they deem them a hazard or are in someones comfort zone they will relocate them .Animal control says it is all in the wording is why they remove them to a new home .They relocated a skunk and her babies from under my front porch .

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No to the copperhead, color and patterns are a little different. It is a northern water snake...

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
No it's not, pattern is different. Hour glass pattern isn't as defined and colors are reversed in his pic and your pic of copperhead.

It's colors are just a little lighter if you compare NWS pics, which is typical variation.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
on the copper head the 3 "circles" don't touch, on the NWS the circles are touching.

Either way just shoot it, don't touch it.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ill post more pics just so the OP can identify it, between the two, for safety reasons.

Northern Water Snake:

upload_2017-8-3_10-41-52.jpeg

upload_2017-8-3_10-42-6.jpeg
upload_2017-8-3_10-42-16.jpeg

Copperhead:
upload_2017-8-3_10-42-31.jpeg

upload_2017-8-3_10-43-18.jpeg
upload_2017-8-3_10-43-46.jpeg

And of course their are different color variants of copperheads and NWS.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I see these snakes every day and they are easily differentiated between.

Also, why kill a snake...NWS are killed constantly because people can't tell the difference between them and a cottonmouth or copperhead. Personally, I wouldn't kill one either way but that is just me.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If a water snake comes to my pond... it's a dead snake... don't care what animal control thinks... my fish will back me up.

Now if it is a grass snake that doesn't eat fish... then take pictures together and be on our merry way.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I wouldn't kill one either way but that is just me.
Then you can let it kill you? lol im not scared to grab the AR fifteen when I see one on my property.

I see these snakes every day and they are easily differentiated between.
I saw a copperhead under the gate of the driveway yesterday, they aren't rare. They are obviously easy to ID, that's why I presume its a copperhead ;)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Then you can let it kill you? lol im not scared to grab the AR fifteen when I see one on my property.

Been alive a long time with my live and let live philosophy. Just because it's there doesn't mean it will kill me.

Ask a Question