Snake question

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I am wondering why the Florida Banded Water Snake that sleeps in my skimmer has not eaten any of my fish.....Every night he patrols the pond, moving from spot to spot and the fish don't seem scared of him at all...It's like one happy family in there...There doesn't seem to be any frogs left since he has set up house so I guess that was his staple for awhile but now they are gone... He/She is about 30 inches long...Any Ideas?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Simple as, it is still getting prey that is easier to catch from somewhere else if it isn’t going after your fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Simple as, it is still getting prey that is easier to catch from somewhere else if it isn’t going after your fish.
i do realize this but can’t imagine what the easy catch is unless it could be snails…

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
How close are you to other sources of water and other prime prey locations? It is most likely venturing out from its home base to feed then return.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
How close are you to other sources of water and other prime prey locations? It is most likely venturing out from its home base to feed then return.
Yes, I agree....I have a storm drainage trench along the back of my property that always has water in it. I imagine that is where he is from and goes back to...I think that Percy is probably in there:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My fish, eaten by the snakes, swam right with them. I even have pics of the fish following the snake around the pond.

I have pics of fish in the snakes mouths.

They showed no fear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
My fish, eaten by the snakes, swam right with them. I even have pics of the fish following the snake around the pond.

I have pics of fish in the snakes mouths.

They showed no fear.
I was hoping you would chime in addy1... Strange that our fish don't get spooked from the snakes like they do other predators...The pic you posted of the fish in the snakes mouth was such an amazing shot...It wasn't a small fish either if I remember correctly. I think it looked to be about 4 inches...I hope your snake invasion is over for good... I am so hoping this one is a male...Don't mind having just one hanging around but the thought of many is unsettling...to say the least

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I was hoping you would chime in addy1... Strange that our fish don't get spooked from the snakes like they do other predators...The pic you posted of the fish in the snakes mouth was such an amazing shot...It wasn't a small fish either if I remember correctly. I think it looked to be about 4 inches...I hope your snake invasion is over for good... I am so hoping this one is a male...Don't mind having just one hanging around but the thought of many is unsettling...to say the least
Being Florida, it might not do any good, but have you thought of trapping your single snake and taking it elsewhere (I have not researched whether relocating snakes is permissable in FL)? I'm of the mind that having no snakes in the pond, no matter how interesting, is preferable to an @addy1 -like collection.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Since I have a storm drain trench in back of my property I think it would be futile...I think if he turns out to be a she then the egrets (I have three Giant Egrets that have decided to reside here...plenty of lizards around the pond for them to eat) will devour any babies...but no, I do not want an addy1 scenario for sure. That would creep me out!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say in Florida the choice of a meal for a snake is better than a five star restaraunt. Frogs toads spiders lizards crickets the size of frogs. Birds fish f r y you name it. Hell go out at night stick your tongue out and if you could stand it.. You'd have a FULL BELLY IN NO TIME.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are still here, just hiding from the cold. I saw 4 new ones right before it got cold. One was a obvious new born.

As soon as it is warmer the traps go back out.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Time to find the den
There are so many snake friendly dens in this yard. No way I will find it unless I happen to see them coming out in the spring.

A 40ish foot long slope, 25 degree slope, stream (made with rocks) water falls (more rocks) small ponds (more rocks) up slope pond edge, rock wall 27 feet long 4 feet tall, more rocks around the loop ponds etc etc etc

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I understand bit your looking for a pretty good size space for that many snakes . I'd get some waterfall foam

Ask a Question