Snakes in a pond

Reaction score
Just checking to see if 16"-20" Garter snakes are a problem? Will they eat the small frogs only? And are the larger fish OK? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
oh, they are in there to get your fish for sure. Frogs are another side item, but if they are quick enough, they will nail smaller fish.

A few years ago I had this huge mound of reed grass in the center of my pond, and it had a mega root ball that had just really taken over. As I reached in to start yanking it out, a huge king snake slithered up the root ball--it had to be a good 4 feet long. Scared the crap outta me. Needless to say, I sure as heck figured out why my smaller fish were disappearing...

Reaction score
Where do you live? Identification would be the first step as there are different types of "garter snakes" Some eat small fish but mostly insects and amphibians. If you do "lose" the snake, try to relocate it away from the pond as they are a beneficial predator.

Reaction score
i'm thinking at 16-20 inches it might be something other than a garter... Though that limey-green is hard to mistake as a garter...

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of info. We are located in the north east just north of Boston. I measured the snake at 13" before relocating it to another local pond. The frogs are in plain site again.

Ask a Question