snakes in the pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This morning I was topping off the pond, when I grabbed the hose a snake slithered through the water into the rocks. It was about an 18" long water garder snakes of sorts.

Well the funny thing is my dear sweet husband is TERRIFIED of snakes. He is a retired Gunnery Sgt USMC (26 years in service), as tough as they come, but snakes scare the crap out of him LOL.

We see a lot of rattle snakes down on our property and he is convinced they will fly through the air and attack the back of his head. :LOL:

So knowing his weakness and being a tad evil :salook: :salook: I ran inside and told him of our new pet. :LOL: Then I went back out to the yard.

Next thing I know he comes out with a cup of coffee in one hand and a pistol in the other :LOL: He demands to know where this snake is! LOL I showed him where the snake disappeared into the rocks. He proceeds to tell me it COULD BE A COTTON MOUTH. I calmly explained there are no cotton mouths in the high desert LOL. He said it could have caught a ride on a produce truck from Florida. I explained it was a garder water snake of sorts and not poisonous. He told me I am no snake expert so there is no way I can know that for sure :LOL: . So I told him he could be right and since it was in the water it could be an anaconda. LOL

He informed me he will no longer be going into our backyard and I will have to start mowing the lawn. :LOL:

My dear sweet husband. He is so silly.

Anyway, I kind of figure a snake would appear sooner or later. Building a pond brings all kinds of wildlife. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is so funny Pecan..........I am laughing my head off! My hubby doesn't like spiders and I don't mind them a bit and it's funny to watch him react when he walks through a spider web while hiking. He does some kind of a crazy dance and throws his arms about and makes weird noises. I have to make sure I have visited the ladies room before we go,lol! So now I usually go first on the trails if there are a lot of webs, hee, hee :biggrin:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well the little guy has made a home in and around the pond as he is spotted almost daily. I don't think he is going anywhere at this point. My husband finally acknowledged that he is not a cotton mouth LOL and that he is a harmless little guy. He is a good little snake and I like him :) I think I will name him Carl Grumman Skyrocket :)

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Carl Grumman Skyrocket!? Interesting name! Some snake from your past?? :confused:
John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
HARO said:
Carl Grumman Skyrocket!? Interesting name! Some snake from your past?? :confused:
John
Nope, I just like the name Carl. Seems like a good respectable name. and Grumman Skyrocket is a type of airplane, which I found appropriate since my husband is convinced all snakes fly through the air in an attempt to attack the back of his head.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good name Pecan and glad the little guy gets to stay. How close will your hubby get to the pond now?
Guess he will always be looking over his shoulder out there :cheerful:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
FLYING SNAKES!!!! Didn't I see them in The Wizard of Oz? :dunno:
John

Reaction score
pecan said:
We see a lot of rattle snakes down on our property and he is convinced they will fly through the air and attack the back of his head!
HAHAHAHAHA! I love it! My hubby freaked out when a 5 ft Gardner snake came out of the bushes behind the pond. HEEHEE! So funny to watch the "manly men" dance like a little girl :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
LOL you guys are so funny! My dear husband does not seem concerned after actually seeing the little guy. He is just over a foot long but not much bigger around than a pencil. Now he just keeps his eyes pealed when he is out there. I told him that even if he gets bit it isn't so bad. I used to catch them and play with them when I was a little girl. I got bit a lot and it doesn't really hurt.

BTW, He recently heard about how rattlers in TX are starting to evolve into not rattling so hogs can't find them. He seems very concerned that there is now generations of rattle snakes not rattling. I told him we don't have wild hogs here so our rattlers still rattle. He did not seem comforted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Oh my gosh....this is too funny!!! Hubby cannot stand snakes, (neither do I) 6" or 6'. He read me an article this morning that was exactly what he's been saying for the last 10+ years. I will try and find to post because it seems to be fitting...

Ask a Question