Snakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think the problem is most people never have to deal with infestation of snakes. They might find a snake in their yard every couple of years. They have no idea what it is like when almost every time you are in your yard you find one. For a time I could not just pick up a rock or log, I would have to move first with a rake. Can you imagine being stressed just being outside in your own yard. Don't judge unless you have.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can you imagine being stressed just being outside in your own yard. Don't judge unless you have.

Agree 100%. For instance, most people think raccoons are adorable, furry little creatures. Our daughter had one claw it's way into her attic, give birth to a few babies, and proceed to wreak havoc. Animal control loaned them a trap and said "good luck". They got the mom in the trap and hauled her out to the country. Then they had a bunch of babies to deal with. It was a nightmare that lasted for several weeks. Their insurance didn't cover the damage - many policies exclude wild animal destruction. It cost several thousand dollars. They were especially thrilled when they learned the lady next door had been putting out dog food for the raccoons and feral cats that roamed the neighborhood. Not cool.

I just realized the guy in the video is Bob Hansler - I've been watching some of his stuff on YouTube for a while. He recently has been talking about some health problems. He has an issue with his eyes that cost him his vision. He's had a number of surgeries and hopes to get some eyesight back eventually. Quite the story.

popeye46

Frogville
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think one of the biggest secrets to overwintering your pond is in the construction - your waterfall has to be built in such a way that it can form ice without the water being diverted out of the pond. Our waterfall is wide - almost three feet across - and in the coldest parts of winter it ices over completely, but the water continues to flow under the ice. The waterfall was also constructed to be concave - the sides are higher than the middle - so the water isn't going to get pushed out when ice forms. The pond will ice over completely, but the water continues to flow, meaning we don't have to worry about de-icers or keeping a hole in the ice. The only winter time concern we have is watching the water level. We have a special short hose that I keep in the house that we use to fill the pond when the water level gets low, but we have only had to use it twice in five winters.

We actually shut our pond down the first year. We really didn't think it was possible to keep it running. Because of the way our pond is constructed, turning off the pump drops the water level about six or eight inches, which left all of our marginal plants exposed to the elements. Every single one died. Big disappointment. So I started researching and brainstorming ways to protect them the next year - maybe I could use burlap? Or bales of hay? Or a combination of both. Suddenly it hit me that what the plants needed was to remain covered by water - or ice and snow - and to do accomplish that, the pond needed to stay running.

We prepared ourselves for every possible disaster that first year. We had the de-icer and auxiliary pump in place in case we needed them. We crossed our fingers and left the pump running. And it was fine. We had one of the coldest winters on record here in Chicago that year - had we known that was coming, I don't think we would have had the guts to try it, but we did and it worked fine and we were relieved and pleased to see all our plants come back that next spring. And the water was crystal clear and the fish were all healthy. It was an experiment that ended well.

Here's a picture of the pond from that winter:

View attachment 101309

That was a long, cold winter. The waterfall is to the left in the photo. The water is flowing towards the top of the picture, over the negative edge into the rain exchange. The water is pumped back up to the bog where it feeds the waterfall. The bog will freeze over completely, too, but the water continues flowing. We enjoy seeing the interesting ice formations that are created each year and the lights on the waterfall are really pretty lighting up the ice at night.
Thank you very much for your reply. I only have two words.......AWESOME --- BEAUTIFUL
Not sure I have your courage to try it but will see if I can. Thanx again and have a wonderful day

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My experience with wildlife is that they want to avoid us humans as much as possible.
If the wildlife is hungry, they will tend to be more aggressive and see us as either competition or food. If they see us as competition, back off and let them have their space. Chances are that they will eliminate some much less desirable pests (mice and rats). If they see you as food, do what you have to in order to protect yourself.

Perhaps as well as setting up your pond to be fish and plant friendly, also set up your yard to be friendly to local wildlife. Set up some snake friendly areas where you can predict where they will be. If your fish, pets, vegetables or fruit are in danger, set up mechanical barriers or electric fences, don't use chemical or other lethal methods to kill local wildlife.

As much as we would like to go for early morning or early evening walks, common sense dictates it's just not a good idea around here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't have the heart to kill snakes. They don't damage anything and they help me with rodents. The rattle snakes and others don't seem to like people and eventually move on within a week or so. My better half and most others want me to kill the rattle snakes. I think killing snakes gives a false sense of security. You still have to use the same amount of caution because there is always another one.

Rats, mice and gophers are shown no mercy because they can decimate my avocado, tomato and citrus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Both guinea hens and peacocks eat snakes. Unfortunately they are both very noisy birds

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We've got water moccasins here so I am a fan of "it must die if it can kill me" program. However I do now have a beautiful little garter snake living around my pond that I am trying to be cool about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We've got water moccasins here so I am a fan of "it must die if it can kill me" program. However I do now have a beautiful little garter snake living around my pond that I am trying to be cool about.
So, we stayed on our boat in Florida for 2 months last winter. I was walking on the dock, and heard a cat somewhere in the water. Then, someone said they saw it jump in. There is cement on the edge and no way out. It was underneath the swim platform of a large cruiser. I unhitched the boat and pushed it out some. No cat in sight. I spend about a half hour laying down on the platform with my head partially in the water, knowing I just saw an alligator a few boats down. Finally, I got the cat. There was quite a crowd by then. When I got off the boat with the cat, someone said they saw a water moccasin swimming one boat over. They could have shared the info a little earlier. When I let that cat go, he took off like a rocket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I see snakes every day, usually red bellied water snakes, Northern water snakes, occasionally a perty Garter snake. Only once did any of them try to strike, when I was rinsing some roots of dirt in a pond, a gaping snake mouth charged at my fingers from deeper water and at the last moment, it pulled away, realising that it was not a yummy frog splashing about
I know one day I might come across a venomous snake such as a rattler, copperhead, moccasin, until then I'll consider all snakes as harmless as a perty lizard, without the legs....

Ask a Question