Snakes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't hate snakes. Our yard has a 6' fence all around it with only a few tiny openings to let rain water drain. My new little pond is doing well, with a few little goldfish and one little koi. A few plants getting going in it. But now I have a baby wide band water snake in there also. One fish is missing, a little one. So, do I just learn to accept nature and the wildlife my pond will attract? Do you all have snakes? When we have visitors I think I won't tell them a snake now lives in the pond. Advice on getting used to a snake(s)? Non venomous of course or I would have to take action. I don't hate snakes, but I sure don't want it in my pond.....

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't hate snakes, but I sure don't want it in my pond.....

Snakes are great, and I wish I had them by my pond.

However, I understand that it can be a bit frustrating losing fish. Otherwise, if you're OK with it, and it doesn't steal more fish than your pond can produce, I think you'll be able to get used to it. Really, all its looking for is food and shelter. If it becomes a problem that you aren't happy with, you could potentially relocate it to a natural pond in your area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with JB, snakes play an important role. I have a set of snake tongs handy to live catch and relocate any that become a pest.
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't mind snakes, but that's easy for me to say as we have very few in our garden. I occasionally see a tiny garter snake. When we first moved into our house we had snakes nesting under our bay - that was a bit creepy. Too many of anything kind of weirds me out. haha. We put gravel under the bay and that ended the snake nursery!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. If I do decide to relocate it, how do I catch it? All I can think of is to drain the pond, 400 gal, and use my big net to catch it in a couple inches of water. Any ideas? Of course I would take it to another big pond in our neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d say net your fish, put them in something to hold them a day or two while you catch the snake. Plastic kiddy pools work if you don’t have an aquarium. Then drain the pond, catch the snake, refill the pond, cycle it a day, replace fish! Or maybe keep the fish in an aquarium till they are too big to be snake food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a snake for a day or two, have not seen it since, in the pond. We do have the rat/black snakes around, huge suckers, don't see them often either.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. If I do decide to relocate it, how do I catch it? All I can think of is to drain the pond, 400 gal, and use my big net to catch it in a couple inches of water. Any ideas? Of course I would take it to another big pond in our neighborhood.
Use snake tongs to capture it and then safely relocate. You can also call your conservation department for assistance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I successfully caught and relocated the young wide band watersnake. 24" long, with a big bulge in the middle which is my missing little goldfish who was so cute. I lowered the water to a few inches and caught it with a big net. Glad I have all the tools to do this and had to get a new long tubing to drain the water. And a bucket with a lid. He now lives in a beautiful big pond down the road from us, way bigger and better than my little one. Thanks for the repliesl

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I successfully caught and relocated the young wide band watersnake. 24" long, with a big bulge in the middle which is my missing little goldfish who was so cute. I lowered the water to a few inches and caught it with a big net. Glad I have all the tools to do this and had to get a new long tubing to drain the water. And a bucket with a lid. He now lives in a beautiful big pond down the road from us, way bigger and better than my little one. Thanks for the repliesl

Update, that dang snake ate 2 of my 8 goldfish who were pets to me. Of course they were my 2 favorite ones....
When I refilled my pond I found out it is 500 not 400 gal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m sure some one on here has a few ( dozen, or hundred) babies to spare. Where are you located? I’ve probably got a few to spare, I’d just have to catch them, which won’t happen till next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Jamie, we do have several places I can get more goldies here. I am a serious discus and angelfish keeper, spending lots of money on them. I feel silly complaining here about the loss of some 29 cent feeder goldfish, But I am enjoying them so much in my little pond in our backyard and they seem to be smarter than my fancy, labor intensive , expensive indoor fish. Just hate that a snake interrupted their happy little lives in my pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lol, mine started out as feeders too. Now they are big!

Attachments

• B7F5BA45-23CE-406A-BF75-ECC57FEC95BA.jpeg
    B7F5BA45-23CE-406A-BF75-ECC57FEC95BA.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 214

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am glad you saved the snake rather than killing it which a lot would have done. Sorry you loss your Goldie pets.

Ask a Question