snakes

SE18

David V
Reaction score
i killed a snake and feel pretty bad now that I did it. My hounds were going crazy and it was striking at them, I'm sure in defense. I thought it might be poisonous so I terminated it. I looked it up and it had similar color to copperhead but much darker. I think in future I'm only gonna kill copperheads and rattlesnakes. I think it was getting a drink or cooling off in the canal area. I'm not a PITA or anything as I eat steak and stuff like that, I just want to try and keep things natural and let nature run her course.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Killing snakes is a reaction of fright. I've had to terminate a few but I try and relocate if possible when it's a type that doesn't need to be in my yard. Of Course venomous need to be removed as they could hurt another pet, a child, or even my wife and I. water snakes I have to relocate as they get large enough here to actually catch fish and can be pretty aggresive and even though not poisonous can leave a nasty bite.
I did a snake, lizard, and turtle show years ago for elementary schools. Doing research to teach the kids I learned a lot of of good reasons for snakes. But one thing that has stood out in my mind from that learning. Did you know that there are 100 times more humans deaths in the US alone related to rodent diseases, than there are total snake bites (Venomous and non-venomous combined!) In the world in a year?
Snakes are #2 in rodent control behind birds of prey in the US, and are the #1 rodent controllers in most parts of the world. Another fact that made me think long and hard about killing snakes, Out of every 100 snakes a human will see in the wild in the US, the chances are one out the 100 being a poisonous one.
These are some more interesting facts, Your more likely to get struck by lightning than being bitten by a venomous snake, On average there are about as many venomous snake bites each year in the US as shark attacks. Your far more likely to be killed in a car accident going to work or coming home from work than you are being bitten by a snake at all. And one last really interesting fact. If you were able to go back and go year by year, there are more years of people dying from heart attacks triggered by the site of a snake than people that were actually killed from a snake bite. Back when I read this is what something like 8/10 years or something like that.
Although snakes have been considered as dangerous, and evil since early times of man and the bible, Snakes are actually far more beneficial to humans alive than dead and without them we as humans would be far more likely to die from the plague, bacteria diseases, and flea bite infections with out snakes and birds of Prey.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like snakes always have. Used to catch them as a kid at girl scout camp to scare the other little girls.

Reaction score
Most snakes I leave alone but some must go . Prior to the last 2 weeks in the 17 years or so I have lived in my house I have killed 1 rattle snake and 2 moccasins . In the last 2 weeks I have killed 2 more moccasins both within 30 feet of the house . Last one about 45 minutes ago . This da** drought as really got the critters on the move looking for water .

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of snakes - they scare the c&*p out of me! Found one last year at the pond attempting to eat one of my resident frogs - had it's leg in his mouth. Felt so bad for the frog. My father happened to be there and killed it and the frog lived. Felt bad afterward, but like f4c said, it was a fear reaction.

Reaction score
I have had three small snakes show up in my pond,two last year and one this year,all were relocated to the creek behind my house..I don't want them eating my fish.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
This little guy is welcome anytime it wants to visit, I could watch it for hours! I've been seeing it about once a week for the last few weeks. This little musk turtle just showed up this week, I finally got a pic of it last night while I was feeding.

Attachments

• frogsnakes 082.jpg
    frogsnakes 082.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 354
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 346
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 308
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
That turtle is so cool - I've been hoping for one to come by my pond, but no luck so far. I have natural ponds all around my area so I guess it's possible.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't know if it's the same one or not. This is te second time one has just shown up in the pond, the last one stayed for about two ot three years, then I didn't have one for about a year at all, then this guy either came back or it's a new one. We like him, he's pretty cool to watch come racing up in the middle of a koi feeding frenzy, they bounce him around like a beach ball but he hangs in there till he gets some food, then off he goes.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'm surpised my 100# lab didn't see and think it was a ball, anything round he brings me all day long to go fetch. It must of showed up when it rained because he hides the second he hears thunder! Guess that's how he got past them undetected.:(

Reaction score
I grew up with a dog that found a turtle once (tucked into it's shell). My dog dropped it out of his mouth and saw the turtle stick it's head out, and that was that! He thought every single rock was a turtle and would go crazy barking at rocks!

Ask a Question