Snapping turtles and deer

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, my husband and I acquired a disused trout pond, which we are now converting into a natural, man made pond and ecosystem. We have been planting hornwort, lillies, pickerell weed etc Last year, the wild, snapping turtles (and deer and possibly harsh winter in mountains of NC) killed off all Lillys and hornwort! Does anyone have any experience please? We are going to use chicken wire this year to protect the new Spatterdock that we’ve planted until it is very well established. Love to get 60% aquatic plant coverage for our sunny pond!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1655656312341.gif
and welcome @Pondgal

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Where in NC are you? And, if this is a pond which is in any way connected to a natural waterway, then you need to make absolutely certain that any/everything you plant is native to the area.

And YES! Pictures are always welcome & helpful!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello, my husband and I acquired a disused trout pond, which we are now converting into a natural, man made pond and ecosystem. We have been planting hornwort, lillies, pickerell weed etc Last year, the wild, snapping turtles (and deer and possibly harsh winter in mountains of NC) killed off all Lillys and hornwort! Does anyone have any experience please? We are going to use chicken wire this year to protect the new Spatterdock that we’ve planted until it is very well established. Love to get 60% aquatic plant coverage for our sunny pond!
how big of a pond are you talking . that is the first question to even begin a conversation such as this..

Ask a Question