Snip snip

PondJunkie

Aquatically Addicted
Reaction score
Atlanta Suburbs, Occasionally Brighton, UK
So I have a fair number of hardy lilies growing, all of which are doing very well. I haven't had a bloom free day since mid-Spring!

At any rate, in the past 2 weeks I have notices something strange. While doing my routine pruning, I have noticed a number of the pads were already "disconnected" from their plants. When I pull them out, they appear to have been cut in a straight line, as if by shears. This is exclusively on pads that were healthy the day before. I am fairly certain I have not been "sleep-pruning".

Any thoughts on what kind of thing might be causing this? All I have in the pond creature wise are some gold fish ranging from 4' to 8', and some transient bullfrogs.

Reaction score
I think a 4-8 foot goldfish would eat the whole plant:biggrin:. Lillies are pretty hard. I pinch prune and they are not easy to break off. I would think some sort of bug is doing it but, don't know what it would be.

Reaction score
In the swamp / bog in my back yard, turtles cut off lily leaves on a regular basis. Very few new pads ever make it to the surface before getting cut. I see them floating around loose. Could you possibly have a visiting turtle?

PondJunkie

Aquatically Addicted
Reaction score
A turtle, now there is an interesting thought.

I have had a few fish go missing recently.....

I have not seen any evidence of a turtle, and the pond shares a backyard with our 3 dogs, but I suppose it is possible. Are turtles particularly nocturnal creatures? Most of the day I have a good view of the pond & I haven't seen anything turtle-y swimming around.....

PondJunkie

Aquatically Addicted
Reaction score
Would a rodent be a possible answer? The reason I ask is that I turned one of my floodlights on last night and saw something jump in the pond that was NOT frog shaped. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of small rodent, no longer than 4" in length.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
PondJunkie said:
Would a rodent be a possible answer? The reason I ask is that I turned one of my floodlights on last night and saw something jump in the pond that was NOT frog shaped. I'm pretty sure it was some sort of small rodent, no longer than 4" in length.

Why didn't you go out and see what it was?

Ask a Question