So...a turtle in a koi pond??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A friend of mine found a turtle along side of the road yesterday and delivered the little guy to my pond while I was at work. After seeing it in person and a few minutes of Google, I've come to the conclusion that it is a painted turtle. It's around 4-5" diameter. To be honest, I'm surprised one hadn't made its way to my pond on its own anyway and I do think it's pretty cute, so should I be concerned? Again, Google has a way of inciting terror in everything, and I definitely found some horror stories in keeping turtles in water gardens. LOL! But I thought I remembered that some of you have turtles in your ponds and all is well. What do you guys think?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have turtles come and go, but mine , so far, have been land turtles. They do get into the pond, off and on, but move out back to land.

Reaction score
Unless it has sharp claws, I would let it stay! But that's me ...... and my often bad pond decisions. LOL!

Let us know what you decide to do and post a picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Agree on the claws part. That could be a lining problem. I had a red ear turtle visit once for about a week, then he was gone. No problems, but he/she wasn't very friendly. Didn't bother my koi, but they were all about 20" at the time. They might go for little ones.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a is probably average winter, but I've seen it -24F here once in 30 years, and -10 to -15 at times
Country
United States
I had a couple of painted turtles in a pond with goldfish, koi, and rosey red minnows, and noticed no problems with the turtles bothering the fish. They may have been getting a few of the minnows, which were very prolific anyway. The turtles were well fed too though, as they always went after the pellets when I fed the fish. I did notice some occasional nips in the leaves of the pond plants. Since the painted turtles are omnivores and tend to lean more towards a veggie diet the older they get, feeding them some greens might help to keep them from scarfing up your plants. I enjoyed having the painteds in my pond very much, and think they are worth the little damage they caused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I purchased a couple yellow eared sliders a few years back for the pond. I was told they wonder off, so I became concerned if they got out of the pond area, one of our dogs might " play " with them and hurt them. I was also concerned about them hibernating in the winter as I have a liner pond, so I returned the,

Since then I met a lady who told me she just puts a dish pan of sand on the bottom of her pond and hers hibernate in that for the winter. She did mention they produced quite a bit of waste.

Ask a Question