So. Cal. Winters for pond plants

Reaction score
Okay so here is a question....In southern California what will happen in the winter to my pond plants. I know our winters don't compare to to the rest of the country but this will be my first winter with a pond.....so I am curious and a little worried about what to expect.....

I have lillies, hyacinth, lettuce, lotus, chameleon plant, pickerel plant, and imperial taro.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I'm in Escondido, where are you?

Water lillies will go dormant but come back. Most of the rest either need to come in or be replaced.

Trade something for a piece of the Lotus???

Reaction score
I have a big pickerel plant bucket in the pond and it survived fine, as did parrot's feathers, bit umbrella plants and all the lilies. I have added Taros this year we'll see how they do.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I'm in Escondido, where are you?

Water lillies will go dormant but come back. Most of the rest either need to come in or be replaced.

Trade something for a piece of the Lotus???

I am in Santa Monica.

As for the lotus...I would but I just got it and it hasn't established itself in my pond yet. I bought it from Ponddeals.com they are having some kind of end of season sale on it something. I only paid $15 dollars for it. You should check it out.

Reaction score
paradise said:
I have a big pickerel plant bucket in the pond and it survived fine, as did parrot's feathers, bit umbrella plants and all the lilies. I have added Taros this year we'll see how they do.

Thanks for your reply. I guess I shouldn't worry. Do you have any frogs in your pond? If so what happens to them? I have atleast 4 maybe 5 and I feed them everyday. I am wondering if they' leave when it gets cold?:goldfish:

Reaction score
All your plants should be fine with the exception of the hyacinth and lettuce. When the plants start dying this fall, cut them back and leave them in the pond. What kind of frogs do you have? Some frogs try to hibernate in the bottom of your pond, some hibernate in muddy areas. If your lilies are planted in dirt they might try to hibernate in them.

Carolyn

Reaction score
froglover said:
All your plants should be fine with the exception of the hyacinth and lettuce. When the plants start dying this fall, cut them back and leave them in the pond. What kind of frogs do you have? Some frogs try to hibernate in the bottom of your pond, some hibernate in muddy areas. If your lilies are planted in dirt they might try to hibernate in them.

Carolyn

Thanks for your reply! My frogs are bullfrogs. They aren't very big yet, though. They hide in the rocks in the mornings.... or sun themselves on the lily pads until I toss a few crickets in the pond. So I don't know what to expect...;)

Ask a Question