So frustrated! Is there a trick to this?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Trying to attach this 1 1/4" hose to this coupler and I cannot for the life of me get it on. Any tips?
20190816_150811.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sometimes heating the corrugated tube up helps but don't melt it! Like w/a heat gun or maybe a hair dryer. Could be it's just too big for that coupler.

Reaction score
Some are a pain. Assuming it’s the right size... I used to bring out a pot of really hot water... (hot tap and some boiled water) and warm up the tube.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The good news it, once you get it on it's on for good!

Honestly though I've only ever used barbed couplers with that type of hose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hair drier is the safest way . Put a glove on or figure out a way to be able to rotate the heat from one side of the pipe to the other. Hot water will work which has its safety concerns with obvious reasons. Or use a blow torch. Vaseline or even liquid hand soap may even work for you depending on the pipe and coupling. regardless how hard it is to get the pipe on the coupling make sure you install the hose clamp.

from looking at your picture the pipe on the right appears dangerously close to be pinched or cut by the pvc pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
In addition to hot water and one of the lubricants mentioned if it needs more persuasion you could bevel the end of the fitting with a file.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If it's the same flimsy corrugated "pond tubing" I used to use, I feel for you. It sure looks like it. Sometimes that stuff is just a real pain to get on. It's too tight at room temperature, and if you warm it up it gets too soft and just keeps bunching up. I would try the soap idea. Good old dishwashing soap.
That stuff doesn't last very long either. I've used the Tetra brand and it always sprung a leak or dried up hard and cracked. I love Tetra products overall, but that hose sucks. I got tired of buying that stuff every year. Sometimes it would last two seasons at best.
The ultimate best hose is schedule 40 flex PVC. It fits into and can be glued into standard PVC fittings. Plus the inside is smooth so there's less resistance. This I can say will be the last hose I will have to buy.
I wish I hadn't wasted so much money over the years on that corregated crap.

Reaction score
I would replace the fitting with a PVC T fitting and put in barbed fittings or better yet cut you lose and put in PVC and be done with it forever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
As above...loose the corrugated cheap garbage and use all pvc pipe or hose. Stay with the larger size like your pipe on the left and you will have far more water flow from your pump. The corrugated pipe has huge friction loss and greatly reduces flow rate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yep, it's best to use all solid schedule 40 PVC where you can and if need be transition over to schedule 40 flex. The standard PVC and it's fittings are dirt cheap. Glue it all together with the proper primer and glue and forget about it.
If you need to make any parts removable, use a PVC union there.
Tell us about your pump. What type, gph, submersible or external, size of connections.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
while the corrugated calls it's self kink free it's not worth the money. With flex pvc once you bury a pipe it you compact it well the pipe won't be able to change shape for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction . it can't crush because the sides would need to push out and they can't push out if they are well compacted.

Ask a Question