So how did everyone fair coming out of winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Winter was very mild here this year. It is the earliest I have had the pond up fully running. No fish loss at all, actually no issues at all. BTW my ducks came back yesterday :) The 2 platinum butterflies are a bit larger coming out of winter.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Pond had some ice but never iced over. I've seen most of the fish except the shy one. Creeping Jenny starting to grow out.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Last I heard, my former pond was filled in as part of the construction for a parking lot.

Oh how sad. All that work....

It is the earliest I have had the pond up fully running.

Me too. And all the fish made it and seem in good health. How long has anyone been able to keep goldfish? I have a goldfish and shubunkin that will be 11 years old in June. I always worry those guys might not make it through the winter.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
All fish accounted for, a few small fry died, some are just not strong. Lilies already budding up.
I groomed the lilies , some of them, yesterday, no stink, they were floating due to the massive root growth. So I cut out a lot of the roots reset the tubers. Seeing buds on a lot of the tubers.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
^^ sort of hurts, I have had all my ponds taken down at previous houses. A lot of people just want do nothing yards.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our fish look amazing, lilies are putting up teeny tiny pads, the frogs are leaping everywhere... And yesterday it snowed. It's spring!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Even though we had a very mild winter, my pond is still 100% ice covered.
I'm guessing at least another few weeks before the ice is gone.
Usually I'm ice free by April.(n)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Lost one fish, think he got stupid and got trapped between a rock and a hard, cold place. Can see water lily leaves coming out of the bottom, as are the bulrush shoots. Fish are lethargic, slow, too early to attempt to feed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
All five koi present and accounted for :) Looks like my two smaller koi, grew, over the winter. Water celery , forget me nots, some type of grass and lilies, all sprouting new growth. I did find a dead frog in my skimmer :(

@Meyer Jordan , that is sad news about your beautiful pond :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a few fish missing. I dont think they died in the pond... they just one day - poof!!! that's actually before winter. Our winter is very mild this year. All the fish that went through winter survived just fine. I got 2 spawned already.
all my plants are coming up, a few pads on all of my lilies YEY!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of lilies with pads on the surface, some with small buds forming. The two hybrid purple fantasies survived winter........whew! they were pricey it is a gamble that they will. We are a month ahead of last spring. Keeping me really really busy. Fall catch up, spring clean up, bees going darn crazy a month early on and on. Keeps ya off the couch and young!

Ask a Question