So, how is your vegetable garden doing this year?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Everyone who has a vegetable garden usually likes to talk about it, so I thought I would start this thread. I'm sure there are a lot of outdoor pond lovers who also like their vegetable gardens.

We used to have larger 600 square foot garden down in the field behind our house, but since it was a bit of distance, we tended not to care for it as much. So, a couple of years ago, we started growing veggies closer to the house. We have about 240 square feet of veggie gardens now, but are going to expand by at least another 120 square feet for next year with more raised gardens scattered around the back yard.

For us, our veggies seem to be lagging behind last year, but this was a very cool Spring and beginning of Summer. It really has only been warming up the past couple of weeks. We haven't had a day where it hit 90 yet. We even had a few nights last week in the 40's...very unseasonable. With the addition of our greenhouse, we started all of our veggies (and flowers) from seed this year. It is the first year we didn't purchase starts from a local nursery.

Would love to hear about your veggie gardens, from patio planters to "the north 40"! And, some pics, too. :)

Beef Steak and Brandywine Tomatoes...usually have small tomatoes by this time of the season, but flower buds are only starting to emerge.
005-Jul_04.jpg

San Marzano (for sauce) & Cherry Tomatoes..with lettuce behind them...and some more tomatoes tucked in a narrow area next to the white shed..
004-Jul_04.jpg

Peas, Cucumbers, and a 2nd round of lettuce, spinach and scallions
003-Jul_04.jpg

Our humble corn patch (most died for some reason)...with zucchini behind them and the first year we have gotten grapes on our new vines. (This area is actually the back half of our chicken run which we open back up for the chickens come Fall.)
002-Jul_04.jpg

Peppers and Egg Pants still in the green house...where I may just keep them.
001-Jul_04.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We grow a few vegetables - mostly tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beets, carrots and lots and lots of greens like kale and chard and spinach. Plus herbs. It's been a slow year here, too, but the plants all look great. I've got a few flowers on the tomatoes - going to do a little pruning today. We grow our tomatoes much closer together than most recommend, but we keep them pruned to allow for lots of light and air to pass through and they do great.

We do wintersowing for all our garden starts - we start all our seeds in milk jugs in the deep of winter, like this:

IMG_0027.jpg

And in spring, in time for planting, they look like this:

IMG_0474.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm too lazy for fruit/vegetable gardening. It's filled with crabgrass, but the peas, lettuce, and tomatoes are doing well. I'm also growing pumpkins again, but I pretty much hate growing them, particularly when the squash bugs show up. I only had about 8 carrots pop up this year. My blueberry bush isn't doing anything. Strawberries were almost all eaten by mice or something.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We grow a few vegetables - mostly tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beets, carrots and lots and lots of greens like kale and chard and spinach. Plus herbs. It's been a slow year here, too, but the plants all look great. I've got a few flowers on the tomatoes - going to do a little pruning today. We grow our tomatoes much closer together than most recommend, but we keep them pruned to allow for lots of light and air to pass through and they do great.

We do wintersowing for all our garden starts - we start all our seeds in milk jugs in the deep of winter, like this:

That's neat...like mini greenhouses.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm too lazy for fruit/vegetable gardening. It's filled with crabgrass, but the peas, lettuce, and tomatoes are doing well. I'm also growing pumpkins again, but I pretty much hate growing them, particularly when the squash bugs show up. I only had about 8 carrots pop up this year. My blueberry bush isn't doing anything. Strawberries were almost all eaten by mice or something.

I grew pumpkins for my chickens last year. (They love them!) But, they kind of take over the garden area. I didn't plant carrots or beets this year. They didn't do well last year, and I want the space for as many tomatoes as I can get. Something is eating my one blueberry bush. Our strawberries didn't do as well as they did last year (a bumper crop), but we didn't put down straw last Fall. So, most got eaten by bugs...also, all the rain this Spring didn't help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

View attachment 101701

View attachment 101702
Everyone who has a vegetable garden usually likes to talk about it, so I thought I would start this thread. I'm sure there are a lot of outdoor pond lovers who also like their vegetable gardens.

We used to have larger 600 square foot garden down in the field behind our house, but since it was a bit of distance, we tended not to care for it as much. So, a couple of years ago, we started growing veggies closer to the house. We have about 240 square feet of veggie gardens now, but are going to expand by at least another 120 square feet for next year with more raised gardens scattered around the back yard.

For us, our veggies seem to be lagging behind last year, but this was a very cool Spring and beginning of Summer. It really has only been warming up the past couple of weeks. We haven't had a day where it hit 90 yet. We even had a few nights last week in the 40's...very unseasonable. With the addition of our greenhouse, we started all of our veggies (and flowers) from seed this year. It is the first year we didn't purchase starts from a local nursery.

Would love to hear about your veggie gardens, from patio planters to "the north 40"! And, some pics, too. :)

Beef Steak and Brandywine Tomatoes...usually have small tomatoes by this time of the season, but flower buds are only starting to emerge.
View attachment 101689

San Marzano (for sauce) & Cherry Tomatoes..with lettuce behind them...and some more tomatoes tucked in a narrow area next to the white shed..
View attachment 101691

Peas, Cucumbers, and a 2nd round of lettuce, spinach and scallions
View attachment 101692

Our humble corn patch (most died for some reason)...with zucchini behind them and the first year we have gotten grapes on our new vines. (This area is actually the back half of our chicken run which we open back up for the chickens come Fall.)
View attachment 101693

Peppers and Egg Pants still in the green house...where I may just keep them.
View attachment 101694

wow, those are both impressive gardens

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
20170704_145034.jpg
20170624_130745.jpg
20170624_130732.jpg
20170624_153930.jpg
Mine is doing good here in Indiana..except a baby bunny getting in the fence and wreaking havoc for a few days till I found it..a little behind on a few plants and ahead on others. 1st haul today from the summer goodies. Just a few photos I had on my phone..Spring plants went well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Everyone's garden looks great . I needed the space this year to house the temporary pond while I was rebuilding the pond. In the past I grew several varietes of tomatoes, peppers, squash and egg plant. I look forward to getting back to it next year.
@sissy you got my mouth watering with the zucchini.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Made yellow squash fried last night .Green for lunch yellow for dinner .Thinking of fried green tomato's today .A staple for Amish people .Waiting to make bread also out of the zucchini and yellow squash but have stop eating them to make it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Made yellow squash fried last night .Green for lunch yellow for dinner .Thinking of fried green tomato's today .A staple for Amish people .Waiting to make bread also out of the zucchini and yellow squash but have stop eating them to make it
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
garden is terribly neglected this year due to the GF pond project. We've had a terrible season so far, way too many bugs and weeds. Also the weather has been wet and temperatures fluctuated a lot during the spring. We don't use pesticides so the leaves look half eaten by the caterpillars and roses are almost leaf less.

Ask a Question