So, how is your vegetable garden doing this year?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
2017-08-04 23.27.05.jpg

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Nothing better than (literally) sun dried tomatoes.

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Look at this baby!

A beauty! Like everything else in my garden, me eggplant are just not growing this year...a lament I am hearing from many folks here in the northeast this year. I am just starting to get blooms on my pepper plants. I have beefsteak tomatoes that are about as big as tennis balls and green as grass. At least I had a good crop of lettuce, onions, spinach, peas and now cucumbers. I can't believe it is August 5th and I am buying tomatoes from farm stands that are shipping them in from down South or green houses.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Same @MoonShadows - lots of green tomatoes... nothing ripening. Cucumbers are infected with scale or rot or mildew or something so they look horrible but we're getting great fruit. Lots of peppers finally, but we only grow jalapeños and shishitos and cayenne- no bell peppers. Weird season for sure. I'm looking forward to my fall garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thur night went out to dinner. Had the most amazing grilled eggplant !!! Refuse to buy cardboard tasting tomatoes at supermarket. Shipping well beat out taste in commercial tomatoes

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've mentioned how terrible my garden is this year, add in neglect and you get this mess. I spent all day Saturday cleaning up. But it's a bit of a lost cause. After today's rain, will replenish with some fall crops.
WP_20170805_11_23_37_Pro.jpg

I usually try a new veggie each year. This year was lemon shaped cucumbers. They are small, lemon sized, but super crunchy. Not the best yield, but would grow again.
WeChatImage636374583455534914.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would so try those cucumbers if I wasn't allergic!!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I usually try a new veggie each year. This year was lemon shaped cucumbers. They are small, lemon sized, but super crunchy. Not the best yield, but would grow again.

Never heard of them. They look interesting.

BTW...I spotted a cherry tomato that has begun to ripen. Maybe there is still hope this season!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Never heard of them. They look interesting.

BTW...I spotted a cherry tomato that has begun to ripen. Maybe there is still hope this season!
haha, I'm still waiting for my first as well
had a few early girls but the other varieties are starting to ripen, I'd say they are about 3 weeks late for us this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I would so try those cucumbers if I wasn't allergic!!
some people are only allergic to the seed and that pulpy material (know a few also for tomatoes)
have you tried just the flesh?

Ask a Question