So, I bought a house with a koi pond...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whoa, nice pond! Aren't you glad the last owners didn't fill it in? You got a goldmine.
Yeah, I would just clean out the muck and leave the filter running 24/7. Skip the bacteria and clarifiers. By clarifiers, are you referring to using UV or some additive? Personally, I wouldn't use either.

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
By clarifiers, are you referring to using UV or some additive? Personally, I wouldn't use either.

Some type of coagulant additive was what I was thinking.

I was running a 2-stage filter at first with the coarse filter you see in the picture and a finer filter behind it, but it was clogging every 5 hours or so. Changing/cleaning them was a hassle so I stopped using the fine panel and doubled up the coarse.

Now I can pump for about 12 hours before I have to clean the filter again, but I know a lot of material is being uncaptured and circulated. I thought the coagulant would help the coarser filter capture more. (but then I'd be back to changing filters every 5 hours I guess)

I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know what to do next...

Reaction score
Country
United States
No need to feel overwhelmed. You are doing fine. Concentrate on removing the heavy muck first and then take a break for a couple of days and see what happens. Yeah, the filter pads will get gunked up but just clean 'em off using pond water. It will get better. One thing I must have missed is what size is your filter? How many gallons per hour does it pump? If uncertain, post the brand and model number and one of the forum members will help. Sorry, just reread your original post. The pump should be turning over the water twice per hour which is fine but how big is the filter box (dimensions) and see if you can get model information too. I'm wondering if you are overloading the filter box. Can't tell by looking at the picture though. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was thinking the same thing. Is the filter adequate? Can't tell by the picture. And what are the pump specs?
It looks like there are some "bio" materials on the right side. Perhaps bio balls and something else. Don't clean that part of the filter, only rinse the pads. Those bio balls are home for beneficial bacteria.
I think the best suggestion when it comes to ponding in general is to give it time. Changes don't occur in hours or sometimes not even days.
You're definitely on the right path. Please don't add any chemicals.
Oh, and that waterfall is amazing! It's like a hybrid between a falls and a stream. Very nice!

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are doing fine.

Well, I'm overwhelmed with the amount of material that's still coming out of the pond. I emptied the pond into an old swimming pool and filtered it out and filtered it again back in. The pump wouldn't pull the last 4 inches of water out due to all the organic material so I slopped it out with a bucket. I rinsed the sides and gravel several times and bucketed out the mess again. And now I'm clogging filters every 12 hours with the same crap. Maybe overwhelmed isn't the right word... Frustrated is more apt.

No clue to the manufacturer of my filter box is; It's unmarked where I can see it. Size wise it's about 18"x24"x24" and the filter is a simple panel that slides into slots vertically. It's about 20"x18" and the depth can vary up to 2 1/2" depending on the media I'm using. The skimmer net was toast so I improvised with a net I found at the bottom of the pond.

I just got done with a cleanout & restart of the filter. Attached is a pic of what I'm dealing with...

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 169

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh, and that waterfall is amazing! It's like a hybrid between a falls and a stream. Very nice!

In truth, getting the waterfall working was what sold me on trying to save the pond. My wife has even taken an interest and bought the koi fountain and Japanese maple. Other than cleaning it and getting the pump and filter working I haven't done anything; Bio balls or nothing have been added. That's why I came here. Dunno what to do next.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sounds to me like you're doing fine. All that muck on the filter pads is normal. Once everything has settled down, you won't have to rinse them as often.
You have or had a lot of work because the pond was neglected. Now that you've removed as much muck as you can, you can relax for a while and let nature take it's course. For now, just keep an eye on the flow of water out of the filter. If it slows down too much, rinse the filter pads.
You seem to have a good amount of plants. Plants are your friends. They help filter the water. It can't hurt to add more. Maybe of the floating variety. They just float on the water, no pot, no soil. Water hyacinths, water lettuce, are a couple.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a beautiful pond! Good thing you didn't fill it in. Just keep in mind you are fixing years of neglect, it won't be a fast fix, but it will work.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is there filter stuff up in the water fall box? IE at the top of the water fall?
You might want to add more plants, also you might look into my favorite filter the bog. Keeps my pond in perfect shape.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Very pretty pond! Don't get discouraged. In the spring my filters look like that and need cleaned every day, but as the season progresses, I can go a week between cleaning.

Casbah

Muckraker
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and compliments! I appreciate it very much... I wish I'd taken pictures of the pond "before" so y'all could see how much has been done already!

Addy, I checked the top of the waterfall, and it was created without a box; Just the end of the 2" pipe under a huge flagstone that I didn't think prudent to move. I did clear the outlet area of rocks and other obstructions, which seems to have balanced the flow into and out of the pond.

I found a listing on Craigslist of a guy giving away more Comets, and I'm going tomorrow to see what he has. I know I need to keep them quarantined for a time; any other suggestions?

Ask a Question