So I bought a house with a spring fed pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now what? It’s in South East Pa, it is fairly large no idea how large but there is a small dock and off the dock it is 9’+ deep. I noticed there is some bass in there, they seem to feed off of frogs and snapping turtles are probably keeping the bass population in check.

Additionally, there is quiet a bit of algae floating on the top, kind of reminds me of hair algae that you find in marine tanks. I was told the first thing I will need is an aerator but I also do not want to get taken advantage of by a local pond supply either. So what do you folks recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Aerial shot of pond attached.

Attachments

• 517AA71F-6886-44BF-837D-B4D82216723E.png
    517AA71F-6886-44BF-837D-B4D82216723E.png
    253 KB · Views: 178

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow that's a big one! I usually buy online at Webb's but there are many other choices online also. I bought a Pondmaster AP-40 but my pond is much smaller. You will have to go w/some kind of jumbo brand which they do sell there. You can call and talk to them also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm thinking you're going to need a piston run aerator designed for ponds and small lakes. Do you have electric near the pond? Sometime windmills are used for energy.

Take a look at this site and their blog, it might be of help, since your pond is fairly large.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum.

Neat pond/lake!

Ask a Question