So I dug this hole - filtration advice?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We sold the old house with the above ground pond and I wanted to try in-ground this time. I finished digging it out but I've just been sort of winging it, I haven't planned what kind of filter to get or how big of a pump I need. I'm also having trouble envisioning how to hide the tubing. I'm thinking there will be a waterfall over the deepest part (by the pile of dirt) but that's as far as I've gotten. Any thoughts?

The size is about 7' x 10', and a little over 3 feet deep at the deepest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What about a bog ?

I understand bog filters are popular here but I don't understand how they don't become mosquito breeding grounds since there are no fish in them. It also sounds more expensive than a commercial filter since I'd essentially be building a second, smaller, above-ground pond.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Go with a bog, they work. Remember the water is flowing through a bog, it’s not still water which is what mosquitos like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Perhaps someone who has a bog will chime in. It looks like you could use the the top shelf with the rounded shape , as a bog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I wish I had done a bog. Skeeters don't like moving water sending them into a pond of hungry fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
If I were building/planning another pond, I would do a bog....without question...
It's not more expensive than a commercial filter. Plus you won't be constantly backwashing and cleaning filter elements. It will work way better and last way longer than anything you buy. Your water will be clear and you won't need an expensive UV light either.
There's no standing water in a bog for mosquitoes to produce in. The water flows through the pea gravel providing nutrients for the roots of the plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A bog is definitely NOT a mosquito breeding ground - if you have water above the gravel, it's constantly moving. And guess where frogs love to hang out? So any mosquitoes who THINK it looks like a good spot find themselves ending life as a snack. My bog is home to a dozen frogs at any one time.

And it certainly doesn't have to be expensive. You need a bit more liner (either extend your pond piece or get a second, smaller one) and build a manifold out of inexpensive PVC piping. Your bog surface should be at minimum 10% of your pond surface, but the bigger the better. Plumb it to pump water to the bottom, fill with gravel and it's done.

Are you planning for a skimmer? An underwater pump or external pump? Both answers will help determine where your plumbing will go. If your pump will be inside the skimmer, then you will run the plumbing outside the pond from the skimmer to the waterfall box or bog (if you choose to go that route), trenching it in. If you don't plan a skimmer then your pump and plumbing will be inside the pond. I'm not as familiar with that set up.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice hole!

I understand bog filters are popular here but I don't understand how they don't become mosquito breeding grounds since there are no fish in them. It also sounds more expensive than a commercial filter since I'd essentially be building a second, smaller, above-ground pond.
I have used one in all of my ponds. This one is the biggest, water always moving, no mosquitos, zero maintenance to the pond, except pulling plants that grow too good. I can ignore the pond all summer if I want to without any issues. Never have green water, seldom have excess algae.

It does not need to be above ground, it can be just a few inches higher than your pond so the water flows into your pond.
Mine waterfalls back into my pond, both are in ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That is a great start you have there. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I am getting ideas for my pond from all of you folks. I figure why reinvent the wheel? Learn from others' mistakes and successes. Best wishes for awesomeness!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow I guess I need to start researching bog filters. Thanks for the feedback everybody. Hopefully I'll have a progress update soon.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have bogs and regular filters on both my koi ponds. Have shut down regular filters as the lilies and bog plants were not doing well. The bogs are keeping the water clear and the fish and plants happy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A standard 3/8 pea stone gravel bog is VERY VERY VERY EASY TO BUILD anyone and i do mean anyone can take on this task and pull it off . And trust me it is a rare moment that i will ever say that.

Ask a Question