So....its 70s all week and my fish (Koi and gold) are like, "feed me!"

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know that I'm not supposed to feed them until the water temps are higher (50F plus?) but we're going to get there this week. None of the pond plants are even peeking out yet and I don't want to feed them until the N cycle is in motion at least. So what to do? They are munching on algae but I do have some fall/spring food available but have not given any to them yet. Just worried how their waste will be processed if there is not much bacteria activity/plant growth to process it. Both our waterfall biofilter and the external Pondmax 3600 are up and running and I have seeded the pond with live bacteria from our pond shop day before. Any thoughts? It is forecast to go back to high 40s/low 50s for highs and 30s in the forecast till April 4th.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
According to the label on Tetra Pond food, you can start feeding (wheat germ based) food when your water temperature reaches 39 degrees Fahrenheit.
But, I think that's based on fish needs or health. I don't think that takes into consideration how it may or may not affect water quality.

My water temperature is 42 F and I threw a bit out there. They weren't that interested. It took a while for them to start pecking at it, but that's normal coming out of winter hibernation.

I'd say, if you want, throw a little out when you have time to hang out and watch. See what they do. Just don't feed them too much or too often, obviously.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use an 'all season' food which is recommended to be fed at temps over 50 degrees. My pond has been hovering right at or slightly above 50 for the past week or so, and on one or two occasions the fish have come begging. This early, I (like mrsclem) use Cheerios for something to toss to them when I'm not 100% sure the water temp will stay up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
be patient; you oughta know living in MI; winter is always lurking until Memorial Day! If you have ANY algae at all growing in your pond, they'll find it. I've been watching regularly with my underwater cam and the fish are munching only a little bit. I have a tent over my pond and the temps I see today are the highest it's been at 48 deg F. So, patience, grasshoppa, patience!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone for your responses. I've not fed them anything yet and there is tons of algae for them to eat anyways. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't harming them (especially the koi) by withholding food.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine has been around 52deg. I will toss them a few morsels in the afternoon when it's the warmest and they scarff it down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only opened up a couple days ago. The water temperature is around 50 but I'll wait maybe 2 more weeks just to let the cycle get started and have the Water temperature solidly in the 50s. Plus there is plenty of algae for them in the meantime.

Ask a Question