So let's talk about (and see) leaf nets...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was out at the pond birdwatching yesterday and noticed a few leaves already starting to change color and drop...reminding me that I will need to put up our leaf nets very soon.

I have two types of nets, a poly one, and a fiber one that came with a cheesy tent pole frame - which I used on the small pond this past Spring to catch pollen strands. I dislike the fiber one, as the fibers tend to "grab" and hold the leaves and debris, instead of shedding them. Anyway, for the new pond I'll probably go with the poly net, and I have some ideas to hang it above the pond with a pitch, to shed the leaves off to where I can collect them for compost. And yes, I do WANT to elevate the net somewhat to avoid hang ups on the rocks, driftwood, plants, etc., and also to avoid tangling wildlife. (A chipmunk got tangled in the fiber one.) My net construction will also have to look as attractive as I can make it, because, well, I'm a snob!

Although I have ideas already turning in my head, I would love to see and hear about leaf net set-ups from other forum members. I'm sure sharing the ideas could be helpful to many. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I like the idea of the window screen! I might price that and see how much it would cost for the top part. Last year, I did what Somethin' Fishy suggested above. I put the net up over the pond with a pitch to it. Worked great! But acorns could fall through the holes in the net, so I put tulle over the top of that. Window screen would be sturdier!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wish i could net mine in the fall.It is a bit too big for even the biggest nets that i have seen.
I don't know how big your pond is, but there are some really large ponds at a water garden business near us, and they neatly stitched the net edges together to create coverage for their ponds. They leave it year round as heron protection.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use my sewing machine and the plastic thread and sew it several times .You can sometimes get the rolls of window screening at habitat for humanity,I got some there that was on a roll that was 10 feet wide and 60 feet long and used it for a fellow ponders pond .Same way I make my plant pockets .You can get it on ebay really cheap also

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I don't know how big your pond is, but there are some really large ponds at a water garden business near us, and they neatly stitched the net edges together to create coverage for their ponds. They leave it year round as heron protection.
It is 25x35 with the berm and a stream on the back side. I this wrestling a net full of wet leaves off of the pond would be a challenge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My son and i dug it by hand. The lesson to be learned is to know what size you want before allowing an 18 year old to start digging with you. He did borrow a skid loader to move the 4 truck loads of dirt to build the berm.

I sure could'a used an 18 year old, full of energy, to help me dig for all the pillars on this cabin!

You guys sure put in an effort digging all that by hand. Bravo! Do you have photos of your pond here on the forum? Would love to see it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I never really posted any pictures, probably should. Here are a couple. This one.with the skidder is where we built up for the berm, waterfall and stream. pond and more 018.jpg The waterfall area is where the skidder was sitting and the bottom layer of boulders are on the shelf you saw. The stream was cut into the berm with 2 small falls. Of course you can't expect your helpers to not have fun. They had boat races before i added plants. These are obviously when the pond was new. I will need to dig up more recent pictures on my phone to post. My laptop has been cranky lately and files are missing.
pond and more 018.jpg

Attachments

• starting to fill.jpg
    starting to fill.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 197
  • the boat races.jpg
    the boat races.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 230
  • the stream and falls.jpg
    the stream and falls.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 210

Ask a Question