So let's talk about (and see) leaf nets...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I know what your saying...I see leaves falling already here in Pennsylvania. It's kind of depressing....
I'm gonna try to describe what I do. My pond is about 20 x 10 feet.
I use the poly netting and made a frame out of 3/4" PVC plumbing pipe. I have one main PVC for the length and 3 cross pieces for the width. The cross pieces connect to the main piece with PVC 4 sided connectors. I use those orange fiberglass driveway markers stuck in the ground to hold the ends of each pipe stationary. They are in a position such that all the pipes are arched or bowed up. I ty-wrap the netting to the pipes before placing the whole contraption over the pond. I leave this on from fall to spring. A couple of times it has caved in from very heavy wet snow, but surprisingly bounces back up on its own after the snow melts.
I don't glue the pipes to the connectors so it can be dismantled. I do use those short self tapping zippie screws to keep it all together.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Here's a picture...

IMAG1637#1.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@poconojoe - Thank you for the great input on the subject! I was considering something similar using pex (since we have no major snows)… The fiberglass marker sticks would probably work great for that too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
@poconojoe - Thank you for the great input on the subject! I was considering something similar using pex (since we have no major snows)… The fiberglass marker sticks would probably work great for that too.
Yep, I just hammer those marker sticks into the ground and slip the pipes onto the sticks. The tension of the arched PVC holds everything in place until the spring.
Do you think the PEX is rigid enough? And how will you connect each section together? Do they make 4 way PEX connectors? Maybe just ty-wrap the PEX together where they cross.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh, and whether you use PEX or PVC, the pipe and fittings are way cheap to buy. Very economical way to do it.
And in the spring I take it all apart and use it for next fall. I have each piece numbered for easy matching when putting it all back together.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Do you think the PEX is rigid enough? And how will you connect each section together? Do they make 4 way PEX connectors? Maybe just ty-wrap the PEX together where they cross.

I think so; for the shorter span we have it should be okay. That, and I already have some lay'n around. Probably just use the PVC 4 way cross T's as you did.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I think so; for the shorter span we have it should be okay. That, and I already have some lay'n around. Probably just use the PVC 4 way cross T's as you did.
I'm not not really that familiar with PEX. I only used it once for a short quick repair. I wasn't sure if the PEX would fit the PVC fittings. It will work out good for you and save some money since you already have the PEX. Maybe they make 4 way barbed fittings that will fit the PEX?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Somethin' Fishy this is a good tread you started, looking at my pond today and seeing the leaves, I think a net will be my next project. It's good to see the different ideas people have for netting their pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
For anyone interested, here's what I went with for a seasonal net:

net.jpg

I still have two areas to secure yet but it will have to wait until the warblers migrate outta here; as the hooded warblers, and the prothonotary warblers, really like our waterfalls for drinking and bathing.

Anyway, a bit hard to see because it blends, but what I did is string up one coated clothes line to available trees at a pitch, highest at the front and tapering to the back. This allowed me to stand at the shoreline and drape the net over the line, then pull it across the pond without dragging it through the water and snagging everything along the way. The second clothes line crossed toward the front of the pond for support. Net edges were secured with zip ties and tethered to garden stakes and available trees. Everything was pulled nice and tight so low flying birds will bounce vs. getting tangled. Areas are left open at the front and the back of the pond to allow any stray creatures exit points. The area at the front is open enough for me to tend to plants, and feed fish until cool weather arrives.

I didn't have to wait long to test the net tension when a low flying eastern towhee cruised through and bounced off the back corner of the construction!

We'll see how this set-up works out for me. If anything, I attained the goal I wanted of being able to set it up without a second person, and I was done in 15-20 minutes.

Ask a Question