So the designing stage begins.

Reaction score
So I have a layout I would like in my head. 8x10x30" deep. 12"below ground 18" above. I would like to hang a bog on the back of it. I am wanting to use 2x6 for the side boards. Similar to this design.
Does this seem sturdy enough? I am planning on at least two vertical side boards. I would love to avoid rebar but if need be I can swap to 4x4 and rebar. How do I support the bottom of the bog. I would like a 3x8 bog with a foot hanging over pond and how do I make the spillways. Would like to have 2. Thanks for any help as usual.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
1.25 tons is what the gravel calculator tells me. Do you plan to fill it with gravel? And what do you mean by "hang it over"? That's a lot of weight to support.

We have a few members who've built above ground ponds - let me see if I can find a few threads and post them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Built something similar about 2-3 years ago but I used 6x6’s....I wouldn’t trust the 2x6’s to hold the weight back over time with out bowing. Also they don’t really make 2x lumber anymore for ground contact, so if any of it touches dirt it can rot out quickly. I would build out of 4 or 6x material. If you do it this way interlocking the corners no vertical posts are necessary. Same thing for bottom of bog use 4x or 6x.

As Lisa said the gravel needed is 1.25 tons or about 24-50lb. bags

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's a few threads you might want to check out:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
2X6 ON A 4 FOOT SPAN would need to be true 2" thick and tongue and grove you would need that center support or strong back to keep the board relatively straight. in that manner yes it could work or build it as you show with standard 2x6 but then line the inside with 3/4 marine grade plywood and screw the hell out of it and underground i would have a stake in the center to keep the wall from kicking in

Reaction score
Built something similar about 2-3 years ago but I used 6x6’s....I wouldn’t trust the 2x6’s to hold the weight back over time with out bowing. Also they don’t really make 2x lumber anymore for ground contact, so if any of it touches dirt it can rot out quickly. I would build out of 4 or 6x material. If you do it this way interlocking the corners no vertical posts are necessary. Same thing for bottom of bog use 4x or 6x.

As Lisa said the gravel needed is 1.25 tons or about 24-50lb. bags
Interlocking the corners how? This sounds like my kind of building. Rebar is not a huge deal but I have soooo much rock I'm going to have to dig out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is in one way the easiest if your not doing to many layers but it can also be a fight and the need for a large drill one that can break a wrist very quickly. As was mentioned 6x6 are the most sturdy for a raised pond if you cut out on the end 5 1/2 " by half the thickness of the 6x6 on the ends of two of them you get the half lap corners. and using 5 inch or better screws on those half lap joints it really makes for a strong corner but it is also time consuming . or you can just do but joints one 6x6 dies into the other and then you drill and pin them together from the side into the end using rebar and screws of the other or using long screws. They also have landscape nails that you can use to lock them together. but screws in the corner will hold better for the average joe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like @JenH design. Her bog appears to hang over? I have messaged her with no response though.
Sorry took me so long! I haven’t been on here for a couple weeks, and I don’t otherwise get any notifications telling me to check. But yes, my bog does hang over the pond. Thank you for the shout out! I sent you a response to your PM.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Ok so which would be easier. If I did rebar do I just drill through all the boards when they are stacked where I want them and drive it in?
I drilled through all of my timbers in place to place the rebar. Used really really long wood bits. I had 1/2” rebar, and used a 5/8 bit. It was hard AF, and yeah I tweaked my wrist a couple times in the process. But I was concerned I would otherwise split the wood trying to drive them in if I had drilled each timber separately.

Ask a Question