So what are the official names of my fish....

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have three koi that I have had for about 4 or 5 years now and would like to know what kind of koi they are. I have a white one that with some black decorations on him and he appears to be scaleless looks very smooth. Then I have this yellow and gold guy and the last one is another white one that is mostly white with a few black spots on him and he has scales.

Thanks..
Tmann

Attachments

• P1020913.jpg
    P1020913.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 300
  • P1020965.jpg
    P1020965.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 271
  • P1020966.jpg
    P1020966.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 277

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well looking at the bodies 1st and last look like females middle one looks like a male so you could end up with some pretty interesting babies .Not sure what kind they are ,but they sure are pretty and healthy

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the ones with the fat middles are female and the slim ones are males .Most men have the luck there

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The orange one is a little hard to see so not as sure with that one .Long and sleek male and stubby tubby middle female lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Sissy I agree on the first one, I would say female. Third one looks more to be a heavy male. The shape is more streamline and the pectoral fins are far more pointed which is a indicator of a male. But keep in mind even for a well trained Koi eye, (Which I am not!) It's still a guess. The butterfly is any one's guess on sex, But at least I can somewhat name it. It's a Doitsu Matsuba. My favorite of the three.
The first one, which we both agree we think is a female looks to be a Sushi that has 100% no Hi (red) color,(NOT COMMON!) or it could simply be a white Doitsu matsuba but I'm more comfortable with sushui. The third fish, lol, I really have no clue how to classify it, If it didn't have the black markings I would say a ogon, with the black markings, maybe a extremely weak sumi Shiro Utsuri?
Please don't take offense Tmann, but the two whitish colored ones are basically MUTT's. lol I do like the first one, it's a unusual coloration for a Doitsu. Don't get me wrong, Mutt's deserve love and yours look to be very well taken care of very healthy and pretty fish. But trying to identify by looking at the books and at illustrations I just can't put a for sure classification name on them.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
BTW, Sissy is correct on the shape, The first one has all the looks of female, If you look she widens from the shoulder to the base of the abdomen.(hips, LOL):yikesu: the third one I can't see the belly region as well as on the fish in the first pic but the body to me looks more evenly streamline in the pic and I'm making my guess by that and the pectoral fins, Female Koi usually have more rounded pecs, males more pointed but again, this is a guess and even long time breeders can only guess until they actually breed to be 100% SURE.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
kinda hard with the 3rd one because of the way the body is turned .I guess we just have pretty fish ,sure not out there to make money on them .My little calIco fantail was being chased by a fancy tail ,good gosh what would they make LOL I thought there was something about the fins but could not remember ,senior moment .Fishin for what reason would it be scale less .I have seen other posts about that but never understood why .Oh and actually I think the middle one has got nice markings and he looks like he has flowing fins and tail also .

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Scaleless or doitsu is a German scaled or Mirror carp ancestry, Scaled koi seem to originate from the oriental area, Scaleless originate from Europe, But now they are being crossed over so much that your starting to see scaleless Koi with colors of the oriental scales, and vice versus.
Oh and BTW, on your goldfish you could end up with a number of different looking goldfish, comet body with fantail, fantail body with comet tail, shubunkin, comet and fantails are all possible to be produced froma breeding like that. Could end up with some very intresting young!

Ask a Question