So whats going on here then?

Reaction score
I am giving my pond a total clean out - whilst the koi are in the temporary pond - they seem to fallen in love with the filter outlet. The outlet orginially just fell into the pond and the koi were not intrested - but I wanted t to see how clean the water was - and put some filterfibre under the outlet and the water fell onto it and then dripped into the pond. The koi line up for hours to 'hover' under the trickles. Is this normal - or are my koi a bit weird?

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 279

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They prolly are eating the nummies that are coming from the fibre.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
that is very common, a new place of oxygenated water. If you move a outlet or add a airstone or stream almost always they will play in it for a while. When the water is getting warmer they need that extra oxygen. but to answer the question that's just normal koi behavior.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I am more concerned with the total clean out. depending on where you live this is not a good time of the year to do total clean out. You have pretty large fish. i hope you have a temp pond that handle the fish for some time. Cleaning the whole pobd will require quite a bit of bacteria replacement before it would be able to handle all those fish without going through some serious cycling and balancing.

Reaction score
As Larkin said, but I'll add needing extra oxygen is something that should be investigated. Could be just warmer water, could be something that is inhibiting their ability to take in oxygen. Something like high ammonia. Moving fish to a temp (smaller?) tank can create water problems quickly. I would always assume when all fish are gathered at an inlet or gulping at the surface is a serious problem until I've tested the water and eliminated poor water as the cause.

What are the water test results?

Can also be related to spawning behavior. Their ancestors traveled up flowing ditches into flooded fields to spawn.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As Larkin said, but I'll add needing extra oxygen is something that should be investigated. Could be just warmer water, could be something that is inhibiting their ability to take in oxygen. Something like high ammonia. Moving fish to a temp (smaller?) tank can create water problems quickly. I would always assume when all fish are gathered at an inlet or gulping at the surface is a serious problem until I've tested the water and eliminated poor water as the cause.

What are the water test results?

Can also be related to spawning behavior. Their ancestors traveled up flowing ditches into flooded fields to spawn.

excellent points WB!

JoaniePA

Joanie
Reaction score
I think they're probably just curious. When I made my drip wall they hung under the drips for a few days, investigating the new phenomenon. I wouldn't sweat it unless they are really exhibiting desperate behavior. My fish hover around anything new in the pond, including me when I put my waders on and walk around inside. If I try to plant a plant on the shelf, they come and swim around my hands so I need to shoo them away. My husband thinks I should provide more entertainment for them, like some ping pong balls to push around. lol!

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments - the weather here in the UK has been pretty crazy - today the weather is under 10degrees. The poor Koi don’t know whether they are comin’ or going. The temporary pool is a 10ft dia – which was filled with the water from the main pond. I moved the first late March when I thought we had seen the last of the cold weather.

The water quality tests are ok apart from the hardness (GH) being a bit on the high side. The fish still seem a bit sluggish (not eating much) which I am hoping is more to do with the general temperature ….. I hope. Some of the koi today are ‘resting’ directly under the filter on the bottom – not seen that before.

The main pond now its been cleaned and refurbished – and am trying to get stabilized. The quality is qood –but of course Nitrates & nitrites are non existent at the moment. A few weeks ago the temperature went up to nearly 30 degrees. The water went from crystal clear to thick pea soup with a green scum. I treated it with aqua-plancton which helped
get rid of the scum – this week I got the UV working again (OASE 24W) – so hope to get it back under control

I have some pictures of the two ponds – which are only a few feet away from each other yet have such different water colours / quality. When the weather warms up permanently – I will lower the main pond and transfer some from the temporary pond – let stabilize and then move the koi.

Fingers crossed!!

ps whats nummies?

FISH1.pngFISH2.pngFISH3.pngFISH55.png

Attachments

• DSCF7924.JPG
    DSCF7924.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 287

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
They are probably just curious. When I added a new skippy or another filter several fish were always under the new waterfall for a while. And when I added a new submerged pre-filter some fish would come and hover by it for a while. I think fish have a lot more personality than we think. I think ponds should always have a lot of things in them for them to explore and play with. That's why I think empty aquarium tanks are such an abomination.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep fish are creatures who love to explore and when my aerator got the new air defuser my fish went nuts over the bubbles coming out and then after 2 weeks I rebuilt the waterfall and they were there playing and then I added the fountain head and they had fun with that .They just like new things and are like kids in a candy store or toy store .

Reaction score
Nitrates are zero??? You tested ammonia and nitrites but don't want to post the result??? I understand.

Yep, they're probably just playing in the water. Fingers crossed should work fine. Good luck.

Ask a Question