So... who started to stop feeding the fish already?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Tomorrow night is the first night we will have the temperature dipping to the 40s....

Who stopped feeding already?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
water temp. is what makes some start feeding .My pond is in full sun most of the day and here temps. do not dip to far until December .Plus my pond is near my septic tank and gets heat from that .A lot of factors in stopping feeding

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm still feeding. Water temp is mid 70's, but weather turning cooler next week. I typically slow feedings in Oct., but don't stop till Nov when water temps drop to 50 - 55 degrees, or they lose interest.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
92 here today, feed off and on just like I do all summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
we only have mild winters but my fish starts eating less by themself so i decrease from 3 times a day to 1 or in once in 2 days and less protein

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It's the water temp that you go by. Our temps are still in the 90's, but the water is mid-low 80's.....was 84 this afternoon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It was 89 degrees here today (pond temperature never goes above 78-80) probably due to the shade?

I will change over to wheat germ based food when the temperature drops below 60 degrees, start feeding lighter and then stop when temperature drops below 50 degrees.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Tomorrow night is the first night we will have the temperature dipping to the 40s....

Who stopped feeding already?
I didn't stop, (we are still in the 70s F) I did switch to wheat germs and only feed once a day now!

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Not stopped but slowed down, mostly cuz I'm not out there as much recently.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
I'm still feeding my koi. Last year I think I stopped feeding them sometime between Columbus Day and Halloween as soon as the weather and water temperatures cooled down. We're not even close to that yet... night air temperatures have been in the upper 60s and in the 80s during the day. That pond water is still plenty warm and the fish are interested in the food. They typically ignore the food once their metabolism starts shutting down for the winter, so that's the signal I watch for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You should all stop feeding your fish when the temperature dips bellow 10c and stays there for a prolonged period of time and not before.....
Last year it was that warm during the winter that the temperature dipped one bellow that of 10c then came back up to around the 12-13c mark .
I acctually had to clear it with the clubs health officer to start feeding all be at a reduced rate until Mid January

Dave

Reaction score
I don't have any regular feeding schedule. I throw a handful in sometimes a few times a day sometimes only a few times a week. When they stop racing to the top I figure that it's time to stop feeding them for the year. If after that they are hungry they will eat what ever they can find in the pond.

Ask a Question