So why a pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you every one for taking the time to look at the thread time to read it and even more so to write a reply,
i hope that while you were asking your selfs the question it made you think of the very early days the fun it first gave you the excitement watching the fish grow and prosper, and also about the changes your pond has gone through,
its very easy to stand back and look at our ponds and, be proud (As you should be) but we all very to often forget about the hard work that went into it.The hard times and when things went very wrong the hart ache so please all stand, Face your pond raise a glass and say i did that,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fun? Excitement? I remember green water, algae everywhere, string algae hanging from every piece of slate going down the waterfall, not being able to see my fish, people saying "what's wrong with your pond?', thinking this was the dumbest idea I ever had ... lol Okay, years later, I am very happy with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I didnt plan to have a pond at all. I was planning to build a garden along our fence because the grass never grow there anyway. There is a spot where it's always damp and thickly shaded that no plants ever make it (tried many things), my husband suggested putting a pond there. I was doing all the masonry work, was not eager to take on a big project. but my husband kept hinting and nudging that I said ok i'll build us a pond.

Now, the pond is all mine and I really enjoyed it. All the wildlife that come to enjoy the pond is my favorite. and already plan the bigger pond at our new house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@j.w , I'm like you....I loved water since I was a child....tad poles, turtles, crawfish and fish. When we bought this house, it had a pond and was thrilled. Of course, we re-did it and made it bigger :)
Same here Tula , I liked it so much I had a career at sea , for me as a child it was tadpoles frogs toads and newts , turtles are only a recent thing here in the UK abandoned after the ninja turtle craze.
You wouldnt be a Pisces like myself and Val would you :LOL: ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Slick, It wasn't so much hard work for me but hard work for the first fish I had that are in fish heaven right now. ... I had no idea what I was doing. i built a 150 gallon pond and added the green dye they sell to make the water look nice. Then I ran my pump for just 24 hours and I added a bunch of fish I got from a friend including a 10" koi he wanted to get rid of. Well the koi jumped out twice in the first 24 hours and I had to keep putting him back, Other maladies were floating liner, high ammonia, nitrites etc. It was a big learning process for me and I didn't have gpf back them to refer to. Well now I couldn't kill a fish if I wanted to because i know too much about fish and my fish population is growing like crazy!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="Dave 54, post: 257589, member: 5153recent thing here in the UK abandoned after

Dave[/QUOTE]
Pisces here, Dave! :D Got my first fish from a neighbourhood kid when I was five, but mother made me give back the jam jar, guppies and all! Got an aquarium for my eighth or nineth birthday, and have had fish ever since. My first pond was a hole in the ground, lined with a large plastic bag. It held whatever fish I could catch in the local creek, but didn't last long. Thank God for modern pond liners!!! (y) I've had a REAL pond now for over 25 years.
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Same here Tula , I liked it so much I had a career at sea , for me as a child it was tadpoles frogs toads and newts , turtles are only a recent thing here in the UK abandoned after the ninja turtle craze.

Dave
Ironically, I'm a Virgo.....but my love of water runs deep!!!

Reaction score
Great thread!
I remember building dirt ponds for my pet turtles (holes in the ground filled with the garden hose) in my back yard before I was school age. I build a new one every day and change the design, with streams and waterfalls fed by a constant running garden hose, and let my turtles loose in there studying them closely to see which ones they enjoyed most. As I got older I got into aquariums and eventually terrariums, and terrariums built around an aquarium. I always wanted a bigger and better terrarium that duplicated the natural outdoor environment as much as possible, but of course it's impossible to simulate the weather and the seasons indoors, but by moving it outside it happens completely naturally.
Like many of the previous poster I also spent a lot of time in my youth hanging around natural ponds and small lakes. I think being around water like that is just something that appeals to certain people. I have friends who have no interest in water gardening, and I respect that because they are into things that I have have little interest in, We're all different.

Our latest pond we built inside our courtyard and the life and water movement helps create a pleasant environment inside the confines of that enclosed space, and that's "why a pond?", a nicely built water garden or pond add to the beauty of any outdoor living space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I have always had flower gardens and I thought a small pond in the center would be a nice accent. I started out with a preformed pond from Farm and Fleet and 10 feeder gold fish from the pet store. The fish grew and the pond didn't so I talked my son into helping tear out the above ground pool so I could put in a little bit bigger pond. Well, it ended up much bigger. I went from the 150 gallon preformed to a 35x25 pond with a berm with a stream and a waterfall. It is so peaceful sitting listening to the water watching the fish.

Ask a Question