social dilemma with my pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ok, now I've got the picture. Yes, strange that someone would travel that far up your yard. Were they just checking out the pond out of curiosity? Possibly? I still wouldn't say anything unless it became a habit! Get a Mossberg 500 Tactical !!! ... Take it out of the trunk of your car as they pass by next time and carry it in the house .... Just kidding !!! ... All is good!
I do think he is totally harmless and was genuinely curious. But his day consists of wandering the neighborhood. I've heard other people say they also think he is a bit odd. He is probably lonesome, which makes me feel like dog doo -- but I still don't want him making a habit of coming up and hanging out.
Usually, if I see him in the distance, I disappear for a while. It's more of a "woman home alone and a slightly strange guy who drifts around looking for company."
Now -- if the truly weird drunk guy tries to come over with Cujo, it might be time to move. LOL
I think my little gate is a good idea. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Here is a picture of the pond sitting area. The house is well up and away from the street. You can't even see the sidewalk down there, because it's down below the juniper covered hill. Out of view, to the right, is the screened in porch, which juts out from the front of the house. The pond area is sort of tucked back in that corner, up against another stone wall. You can see it takes specific intent to get up there.

Attachments

• IMG_3770.JPG
    IMG_3770.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 211
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
yah, be nice to sociable old duffers, one day he might spot some dastardly heron and wonder, should he or shouldn't he, shoo that huge buzzard away

Creating one place where a cat or dog can take a drink, pose for a photo opp, while the rest of the pond has attractive low growing barrier plants to discourage passing traffic from getting too close or taking short cuts round the pond might do a job of traffic control

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh. We have a neighbor like that. Our front yard is way more accessible than yours, but it still creeps me out when he is suddenly RIGHT THERE behind me. I started to act ridiculously startled and told him my hearing is not good so it's hard for me to hear people approaching. I also start moving down the driveway so he has to follow me if he wants to continue talking. Amazing how often I have to check the mailbox when old Peter shows up in the yard! And he brings his obnoxious dog, too - I love dogs, but this one is not a favorite. That dog would pee on every blade of grass if you let him. So I use the "oh, just had the weed killer applied! Better get the pup off the grass!" excuse. Weird neighbors... one of life's little blessings! haha!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Ugh. We have a neighbor like that. Our front yard is way more accessible than yours, but it still creeps me out when he is suddenly RIGHT THERE behind me. I started to act ridiculously startled and told him my hearing is not good so it's hard for me to hear people approaching. I also start moving down the driveway so he has to follow me if he wants to continue talking. Amazing how often I have to check the mailbox when old Peter shows up in the yard! And he brings his obnoxious dog, too - I love dogs, but this one is not a favorite. That dog would pee on every blade of grass if you let him. So I use the "oh, just had the weed killer applied! Better get the pup off the grass!" excuse. Weird neighbors... one of life's little blessings! haha!
It's funny. There is a senior citizen neighbor who goes for his walks every day. Sometimes he comes up to see what's going on, but with him, it's totally different. He doesn't just appear -- he sort of operates with "normal" social conventions, so he doesn't wig me out.
Did I tell the story about the cat/delivery man? The other day, I was on my hands and knees, with my back to the driveway. Up to the side of me, the neighbor's cat was goofing off chasing leaves and stuff. I was talking to him as he was rolling around in the dirt. He sort of went out of my sight line near the driveway side and I heard all sorts of thuds and bumps. "WHAT are you DOING over there?!" I said.
"Ummmm... delivering a package?" It was the UPS guy!!!!!!!!! He thought he was in trouble. I was laughing so hard, I could barely apologize. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here is a picture of the pond sitting area. The house is well up and away from the street. You can't even see the sidewalk down there, because it's down below the juniper covered hill. Out of view, to the right, is the screened in porch, which juts out from the front of the house. The pond area is sort of tucked back in that corner, up against another stone wall. You can see it takes specific intent to get up there.

Totally get the picture! Being so far from the road, he probably was curious as to what you were building, wouldn't you think? People are strange ... Enjoy that pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
hi , if its your territory or area around your house then its unethical to enter your privacy and i dont think you need to be shy to claim it if it bothers you , personally i would love if some one enjoys my pond and i may not mind if i didnt defined any fence or border then its my mistake./choice, anyway u can plant any hedge or create a broad flowering bed that would make people not enter your area .

Box-hedging.jpg

88701f3ff86c51ee8abc3f06da5ab690.jpg

Ask a Question