Sodium Bentonite to Line pond with some vertical walls?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, I have a pond (or a pit rather) that will not hold water. I have some vertical walls in the pond with depths ranging from 12"-3' approx. I have been looking at sodium bentonite or clumping cat litter to seal the pond but I don't know if it can be applied to vertical walls? All of the videos I've seen where sodium bentonite is being applied are of ponds with gradual slopes from the edge to center. Mine has more abruptly cut edges.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What is the soil composition like for where you live?
Sand, clay, organic matter, ect?
Can you slope the pond walls at all?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The info that you have is correct. Bentonite can not be applied to vertical surfaces.
More importantly is the fact that vertical walls in an earthen-bottom pond are structurally unsound and unstable. Undercutting erosion will occur resulting in the eventual collapse of these wall. Typical pond sloping is 2-1, with some recommending 3-1.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What is the soil composition like for where you live?
Sand, clay, organic matter, ect?
Can you slope the pond walls at all?

My soil is mostly sand. The water disappears very quickly after a rain. I can, I did not originally to protect the goldfish I planned on getting from predators. I also left a hemlock tree in the center with a small dirt island around it for aesthetics.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The info that you have is correct. Bentonite can not be applied to vertical surfaces.
More importantly is the fact that vertical walls in an earthen-bottom pond are structurally unsound and unstable. Undercutting erosion will occur resulting in the eventual collapse of these wall. Typical pond sloping is 2-1, with some recommending 3-1.

I have seen a bit of this already with the heavy rains the last few weeks. I assume 2-1 and 3-1 is in feet and rise/run correct?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have seen a bit of this already with the heavy rains the last few weeks. I assume 2-1 and 3-1 is in feet and rise/run correct?
Those are the slope ratios. Applicable using any common measurement.

After the sloping is completed bentonite, properly applied, will seal the pond. You will, however, likely need top remove the tree as its roots will compromise the integrity of the bentonite seal.

Ask a Question