Sodium Bentonite

Reaction score
I wish to call attention to this thread.

I have known about Sodium Bentonite since I was a kid but for some reason it never occurred to me to present the subject here on the forum until now. Oskar's personal and specific pond situation design spurred my thoughts and I believe that I should ensure that I share these thoughts (and videos) with all.

Please take the time to check out this thread.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/fire-pond-vs-fire-pool.13660/

I am really hoping that the information helps someone along the way.

Gordy

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since I suspect it is not a tight concrete seal, then I would be curious if there is any way plants can root them self into the clay seal, and, if so, I wonder about the possibility with roots creating a leak. I know big acre clay ponds have to be dredged on occasion due to aggressive grasses, which they eventually do occur.

I do not know anything about sodium bentonite, but it is quite interesting. Not for sure what the success rate would be in regards to the seal. It would be something fun to research further, that also involves the cost of the product and the machine work involved to properly lay it out.

Reaction score
Is it similar to kryptonite?

No, it isn't like kryptonite, that is a radioactive ore from an alien planet. But, if you put bentonite in Superman's shorts and he has an accident because he had a few beers at the game and the line for the restroom is very long.... Well, Superman might have more than just an embarassing moment, it would be a Super-embarassing moment.

It is a clay that expands greatly when wetted. Somewhere between 8 and 18 times its dry volume and forms an extremely excellent water seal (alone) or when mixed with other soils. Mixed blankets (other soils mixed with bentonite) require much less sodium bentonite and the surface won't be a slimy, slickery clay goo.

Gordy

Reaction score
Since I suspect it is not a tight concrete seal, then I would be curious if there is any way plants can root them self into the clay seal, and, if so, I wonder about the possibility with roots creating a leak. I know big acre clay ponds have to be dredged on occasion due to aggressive grasses, which they eventually do occur.

I do not know anything about sodium bentonite, but it is quite interesting. Not for sure what the success rate would be in regards to the seal. It would be something fun to research further, that also involves the cost of the product and the machine work involved to properly lay it out.

Charles,

I didn't see anything regarding plants rooting into the bentonite. I even attempted to search that subject but haven't come up with anything about it. The only thing I did find is that you have to ensure that there are no roots left behind when you excavate for the pond initially as they would lead to leaks later when they decay.

The sodium bentonite is a specially mined clay that expands a great deal when exposed to water. There are other forms of bentonite (like calcium bentonite) but it doesn't expand - or very little in comparison. It must work pretty well as I am reading more articles and information about its use for ponds at golf courses and for fish farm ponds, etc.

One form of bentonite is used in kitty litter (the clumping kind I believe). So a mixture of that bentonite type and some zeolite would make a great homemade kitty litter concoction.

The big question would probably be... How expensive is it? I don't know the answer to that at this moment. Would have to check on that.

Gordy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some of us here have been using the Calcium Bentonite non-clumping Clay kitty litter for use as a plant soil in our ponds and also it is said to help clear algae in a pond. I have it in my pond and don't have much of an algae problem but can't say for sure if it is really the cure. Here is an old link I had saved in my files on the subject of the Sodium and Calcium Bentonite: http://www.nfkc.info/Cat Litter.htm

Ask a Question