Soft shell turtles? A good addition?

Reaction score
I saw that box turtle problem thread and it reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. I have had a couple baby turtles in the past, one was a softshell and one was an alligator snapper. Both I caught in a local stream, and grew them from hatchlings till they were about as big around a coffee cup plate. This took a couple years, but I eventually had to let them go as they were too much of a handfull. They were much bigger by that time, and they knew full well how to survive on their own, and I let them go right back in the stream that they came out of. The snapper of course, was not a good idea for a koi pond. He always tried to bite, and hissed at people. He had large vicious claws and spikes all down his back and down his long tail. But the softshell was much more docile, and softer, and would eat lettuce and some algae and bugs and shrimp.

So my question is, would a young, small softshell turtle be a good addition to a pond? I think I can probly come across another one. The local pet shop has them for sale some times, as babies. They feed them some kind of turtle food. Softshell turtles are so cool looking when they become adults. They just dont look like any other kind of turtle, really. Especially if you get one with some good coloration.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a soft shell turtle a few years ago
the only time i saw him was the the day i put him in..
i guess he went to live in the ditch down the block

Reaction score
The thing with soft shelled turtles is that as babies they look very cute and they will eat everything you mentioned and small fish. Now if you manage to accuire a female which is bad, then you have a situation on your hand. I say this because femmales will live over 30 years get to 30lbs and up. When these guys get big they tend to eat anything they can find so you may one day find all your fish gone and a happy fat soft shelled turtle. I know all this from raising a few and research. A interesting note is that the turltes have some kind of medicinal use.

Reaction score
Yeah I did a little research myself and found out that you definitely want to get a male. They keep the same color that you pick out, and they only grow to around 8 inches. If you get the texas variety, which is where I am from. The females get much larger of course. However, I was hoping that by the time he would be large enough to bother my fish, that I would have a much larger pond, with much larger fish. Course I could be dreaming, I have no idea how long it takes koi to grow large from about 8 inches. So theoretically, if you had the typical sized large, adult koi, and a male softshell turtle, they would get along fine cause the fish would be much larger than the mere 8 or 9 inch little turtle. Then again, I guess if they bred and you were trying to raise up some smaller fish, he would become a problem. Course I guess you could always just keep him fed well, maybe he is one of those types of animals that will not hunt if they are not hungry. Some animals can't be bothered to look for food if they have a steady supply.

Reaction score
BennyLava said:
Yeah I did a little research myself and found out that you definitely want to get a male. They keep the same color that you pick out, and they only grow to around 8 inches. If you get the texas variety, which is where I am from. The females get much larger of course. However, I was hoping that by the time he would be large enough to bother my fish, that I would have a much larger pond, with much larger fish. Course I could be dreaming, I have no idea how long it takes koi to grow large from about 8 inches. So theoretically, if you had the typical sized large, adult koi, and a male softshell turtle, they would get along fine cause the fish would be much larger than the mere 8 or 9 inch little turtle. Then again, I guess if they bred and you were trying to raise up some smaller fish, he would become a problem. Course I guess you could always just keep him fed well, maybe he is one of those types of animals that will not hunt if they are not hungry. Some animals can't be bothered to look for food if they have a steady supply.

Well my advice for you is to feed your KOI heavily so that they can grow large enough to not be eaten or bullied by the Soft shelled turtles. Also if your KOI do so happen to have fry create some sort of hiding place for them to evade the Softies. Or another option tr segregating the turtle and your fish in the pond.

Reaction score
Yeah i may not do it this was just an idea. If I do, the softie will be a baby male and the koi will all be large in size so that he can't bother 'em. This will be a long time from now though. I just like to research new ideas a lot.

Reaction score
I have multiple types of turtles in my pond as well as small fish and large fish. I've never had a turtle harm a fish. I believe the reason is that they are well fed. I feed them table scraps of meat. They really love hotdogs. My Koi and turtles actually get in tug of war matches over the food. I've also noticed the turtles will eat the koi food. I hope this helps.

Ask a Question