Soil Cement backfill-- an update

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thought I'd post an update on the progress with this. Hubby & I managed to get the footer dug out and cinder block placed. We used a base of tamped rocks in the trench. The soil-cement would have been perfect to use as the base, but we didn't have the Portland yet, and with our weather, we're on a time clock. That all went well, except for the fact that we were working in yucky, clay.

Then, since the weather had stayed dry, I was able to start on the actual back-fill. I did some more reading, and apparently for what we are doing [backfilling behind the wall], the recommendation was for a slurry rather that the solid-pack stuff. It self-levels and will fill all the gaps in the rock base, holding that together. I was able to get enough mixed per bucket to fill in behind the footer, but WILL RENT A MIXER for the rest of the job! Whew, I thought mixing a slurry would be easier than mixing it stiffer, but it was still a lot of work for one old gal! I got enough mixed to fill in behind the "footer" layer of block.

Anyway, I'll work with the slurry stuff up to a point, then will switch to the dryer mix and use the tamper when I get closer to the surface work.

I checked on the poured stuff yesterday, and it was pretty solid. We had rain yesterday, and it's colder today -- right at the borderline for working with cement -- so will have to wait until tomorrow to do any more work.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can get an additive to work with cement in colder weather and you can also add a fortifier to the mix .Cement fortifier I use when I make cement pots and makes the cent stronger .Lowes and home depot have it here a gallon of fortifier is around 12 dollars and it does not take much

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The wall will get easier for you when you get above the ground water

Ask a Question