Soil less planting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i am a bit of a novice, however i love experimenting, i am trying soil less planting in my pond , putting plants just into the gravel at the bottom of pond, it`s a shallow wildlife pond, has anyone had success with this type of planting and do you have any pics, i will post pics soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! While this planting technique is new to you, nearly everyone who has a garden pond has donw exactly what you described. No need for soil in a pond for planting.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Lisak that`s good to know, was worried that i might kill the water Lillies

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
9AF70038-A2FE-4B19-A125-D1D9FE4D2BB5.jpeg
Everything you see in this pond is bare root......just a plastic basket with a couple of rocks thrown in to keep the wind and the Koi from tipping them over

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
View attachment 114591 Everything you see in this pond is bare root......just a plastic basket with a couple of rocks thrown in to keep the wind and the Koi from tipping them over
All I do in the fall is pull the baskets out trim all the roots back to the edge of the baskets, cut everything off at the waterline......everything comes back except the King Tut papyrus.....it doesn't survive our zone 7 winters

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and welcome! Typically the plants that do best are pond plants, but sometime you can try other types of plants as well. I have seen all types of herbs and even impatiens grown straight in the water. There are some plants that don't want their roots to be constantly wet so pond plants ar a safer choice. I use pea gravel to plant my plants in. You have to wash it thoroughly before using it or else it will create a big mess!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Nice pond you have there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi i am a bit of a novice, however i love experimenting, i am trying soil less planting in my pond , putting plants just into the gravel at the bottom of pond, it`s a shallow wildlife pond, has anyone had success with this type of planting and do you have any pics, i will post pics soon.
Here an image of one of the Red Mangroves I grew from seeds (propagules). This plant has been moved indoors
and outdoors between the watergardens over the years. Notice the prop roots growing out of the trunk. This tree is now about 3 1/2 feet tall.
Stephen

Attachments

• Red Mangrove prop roots.JPG
    Red Mangrove prop roots.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 233

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Stephen Noble very cool looking, love the look of the prop roots.

I had red mangroves growing in a sump, in my saltwater tank system for a few years. One of them got to be about 3-4 ft tall, however I decided to change that to an algae turf scrubber for better nutrient export.

May get some propagules this winter and move them into the pond next spring when the weather warms.

Ask a Question