Solar blanket for winter??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I know I saw somewhere, not necessarily on here, but somewhere, that some people use a solar blanket during the winter to help keep water from freezing. I know I need to keep at least part of the pond uncovered for gas exchange, but does anyone have any suggestions/tips for using one? My dad has closed his inground pool for good and I'm just wondering if I could use the solar blanket for my pond. Any disadvantages? Issues? Thoughts on this please.....TIA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm in SW Ohio and cover my pond completely with a pool solar blanket. Our is draped over slanted boards so melting snow and rain run off it easily. I don't worry about off gassing as it's certainly not a tight seal. I also run an aerator with stones about 10 inches into the water and a Pond Breather.

I have used an old pool solar cover without problem in the past.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm in SW Ohio and cover my pond completely with a pool solar blanket. Our is draped over slanted boards so melting snow and rain run off it easily. I don't worry about off gassing as it's certainly not a tight seal. I also run an aerator with stones about 10 inches into the water and a Pond Breather.

I have used an old pool solar cover without problem in the past.

Ok thank you. I was going to run my aerators too. Never thought of slanting it. Guess I have to figure out how I'm going to do this.

(I'm in Fayette County Ohio so probably not that far away from you)

Ask a Question