solar power

Reaction score
Country
United States
so I have a 3ft by 5ft by 3ft deep preformed Pond if I did solar to power the filter in the pumps how much wattage would I need for a solar panel what kind of solar panel would I need to Buy. Planning on having a waterfall feature to not too big though

Reaction score
Country
United States
The most important question is whether it just going to be a water feature or will there be fish? With fish you need to run the life support system 24/7 and that is a challenge with solar. I've never used a solar pond pump but if you absolutely have to use one make sure it will run 24/7. My gut says if I had to use solar I would buy larger than needed to get an oversized solar collector and big rechargeable battery system (possibly a car battery could also be used) and then use a pump that draws much less than the solar system (collector and battery) can deliver to guarantee filtration on cloudy and end of season, shorter daylight days.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought the harbor freight 100 watt one and a and a battery and an inverter and I run my landscape lights off it right now plus power to the new shed .It works pretty good ,i am amazed .I am thinking of adding another battery

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sissy, that's fantastic. Do you have any idea how many watts the unit supplies? I imagine you are using LED's but a super efficient pond pump connected to your setup might work for Avaw's application. I think a pump might draw 25% more at start up but I am not sure in Avaw's case because each motor is different and we don't know what pump might be used. We have some electricians on this site like Sparky who can address this better. Also, could you please let us know which model you have? It sounds great, I might get one for my landscape lighting!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yes leds .So far it has been suppling around 80 to 85 watts and I have been trying to figure this solar stuff out and figured this was a good start .Kit onsale was 159 dollars and bigger inverter was I think around 25 dollars but less wit 20 % off coupon .Both sides of my driveway plus my sheds .I got the led bulbs off ebay to replace the halogen bulbs .I want to set the panels up better because the stands blow over constantly and they are stacked down but with all the rain it does nothing .Each bulb uses half a watt .I know my 1 laguna pump uses only 55 watts and thinking of adding a panel set to the pond if I can figure this out .I am even getting mud splashing up onto the solar panels so that cuts it down .I just bought them during the presidents sale

Ask a Question