Solar Powered Pond

Reaction score
[sub]I was pondering setting up my "pond" (which for me is not really an actual fish or garden pond, but a large scale bait tank) to be operated soley and only from the power of the sun. I am contemplating using an actual home solar system - in a scaled down version - to power the water pumps, aerators, heaters and lighting with the intention of keeping the pond (bait tank) fully operational 24/365! Winter, spring, summer and fall, night and day, all around the clock.[/sub]

[sub]I would apply standard, full sized solar panels @ 135 Watts per panel, a bank of 6 volt deep cycle storage batteries wired to produce 12 or 24 or 48 volt output, an MPPT solar charging system and a true sine wave inverter/s to convert the DC power to AC where needed. Some of the devices could be operated directly from the DC power if I can find good ones.[/sub]

[sub]Has anyone here had any experience in doing this? At least attempted it on some scale? [/sub]

[sub]I searched for "solar" related keywords and found minimal discussions so far. Mostly related to one device being a prefab solar element (with its own solar photovoltaic cell and battery) like a garden path light. But, I am interested in the real, full blown deal. Like you would incorporate for your home or a cabin.[/sub]

[sub]I started out planning this for my cabin in order to be off the grid entirely, but decided that was a bit too much overall. Might work out alright for minor applications like light duty general appliances, lighting and entertainment center power etc., but not for major appliances.[/sub]

[sub]Then it dawned on me that this would be a great option for my pond, if I figure it all out just right. I Might even incorporate a wind generator to help boost the energy supply beyond that of just the suns rays.[/sub]

[sub]Love to hear from you![/sub]

[sub]Gordy[/sub]

[sub] [/sub]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They have a system called solair that is wind and sun and is a turbine works on you electric box .I have a friend having one put in and going to see how his works .I have been looking into it since I saw it on the DIY network on the show This New House with Steve Thomas and Amy Mathews .

Ask a Question