Solar water pump

Reaction score
I wonder if it is cheaper to put together your own little solar pump system with a solar panel big enough to run the pump all day and charge a battery enough to run it all night. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
I wonder how big the solar panel would need to be? WHile the idea of using solar power is very attractive to me, I don't fancy having some big panel up above my head while I'm walking around the garden.

Reaction score
My husband and I have been looking into the solar chargers that they put on electic fences. I would think something like this would work for a pump and it's not that intrusive.

Surely they have actual solar pumps out there.

Reaction score
True! I asked my husband what he could do to hide the panel. He said he could run a line underground to the panels on top of my shed, where they'd be out of the way.

Reaction score
That would work. But most of the panels we have priced have been crazy (like 20 grand or something like that). I couldn't see doing that for a pond, especially if you are going to be running lines underground anyway.

Reaction score
My entire solar system for my trailer-- four solar panels, six batteries, charge controller and inverter-- was under $3,000. My husband just did a huge solar job which had big solar panels with the highest output available for $1000 each. I don't think I need one that big for a pond. A friend said she saw some used ones on ebay, I think I'll check them out. I wish I could just plug in my pump to my current system, but it's stretched thin with the fridge.

We're not on the grid, we live in the middle of nowhere! But I still love it.

Reaction score
I bought a solar pump from silicon solar. Worst piece of **** ever bought by me. It looked good on the site, had battey backup and as the newbie I am I thought that would work for my pond. I got the fountain one but I could spit better than the pump. You need a powerful pump with a lot of solar power so unless you go for the biggest one there is, save you money.

Reaction score
Solar products do work under the right conditions but there are still some bugs that certain manufacture need to work out. If possible I would use regular pumps in addition to solar if you have a larger pond or a heavy fish load. Solar works well for small water features where you can't or don't want corded pumps.

Reaction score
I "broke down" and brought out power to my pond so now I can run bigger pumps for my waterfall and I can also put some lights out there. I am hoping it'll look nice when I got the patio and the retaining wall built.
I was going to placesandstone around the pond but read somewhere that it wasn't good since they erode and deposit the erosion into the pond.
Anywa, if you need more powerful pumping then, in my opinion, you need to use 120V

Reaction score
Bringing back this topic! But does anyone know or can recommend a solar water pump for a pond that is 14 x 32 x 4ft? I believe it is around 11,000-13,000 gallons. Also wondering if a 2000gph pump would be sufficient enough for this large of a pond or would I have to go way higher than 2000gph?
Thanks.

Ask a Question