Solution to those annoying leaves!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wanted to share a great solution for limiting the amount of leaves falling into the pond. After years of spending ungodly amounts of money on netting which would always fail, I took a chance on these plastic grids. I found they don't only deter herons but they provide a great barrier for leaves as well. Very simple to assemble by connecting the plastic hooks to one another for the desired pattern and most importantly they DO NOT sink I opted to anchor mine with fishing line to avoid the grids floating and becoming stuck around my pond plants. I've found while using this barrier to be the most convenient way for removing leaves, just scoop out the leaves and the grids float right back to their original spot.

I'm sure you can tell what I will be doing today based on my photo

20221106_083437.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I got mine from Amazon - but I didn't stop to think about them as a leaf barrier. Good idea!

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
I bought a package of those on Amazon a while back, as a potential kingfisher defense system. I've never used them, but it's good to know they work!

@combatwombat , they're supposed to have the same density as water and thus float just below the surface. One of the Amazon reviews complained that they sink a bit too easily, but that the problem could be solved by putting a bit of bubblewrap underneath the devices.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@combatwombat

I purchased 2 sets from Amazon for around 25 bucks each. They are good size about 12 inch by 10.5. One of the photos shows the plastic hooks for assembling. I really didn't need two sets after all but I'm glad I have extra. For reference my ponds area is 13 feet by 13. I tied off a couple of places with fishing line while keeping it at water level, if you anchor too far above the water level the grids may start stacking on one another. Although they may look fully submerged they are actually floating.

20221106_093250.jpg

Screenshot_20221106-094359_Amazon Shopping.jpg

20221106_093343.jpg

20221106_093402.jpg

20221106_093654.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Interesting. But don't they sort of get in the way when you're scooping? I am envisioning my net getting caught on them...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a package of those on Amazon a while back, as a potential kingfisher defense system. I've never used them, but it's good to know they work!

@combatwombat , they're supposed to have the same density as water and thus float just below the surface. One of the Amazon reviews complained that they sink a bit too easily, but that the problem could be solved by putting a bit of bubblewrap underneath the devices.
@combatwombat

I've read reviews with similar complaints about sinking and my experience with these have been the complete opposite. I really think it's how you position
and anchor them

Reaction score
Country
United States
Interesting. But don't they sort of get in the way when you're scooping? I am envisioning my net getting caught on them...
@BKHpondcritters

They can indeed get in the way while accessing the bottom. Although these grids catch most of the leaves there are still some smaller ones that falls through. I've found using a long handle grabber helpful for accessing any debris especially around my pumps.
20221106_101343.jpg

I've also picked up sections of the barrier above the water for a better reach and have placed them back without any issues.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
@BKHpondcritters

They can indeed get in the way while accessing the bottom. Although these grids catch most of the leaves there are still some smaller ones that falls through. I've found using a long handle grabber helpful for accessing any debris especially around my pumps. View attachment 154970

I've also picked up sections of the barrier above the water for a better reach and have placed them back without any issues.
That’s my weapon of choice, great grabber.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I tried them once. They didn’t do anything for me, and I couldn’t afford enough of them to cover the entire pond. I wish I could recall exactly what I didn’t like about them, but it’s been at least 10 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do love reading all the creative solutions! Netting the pond (In the traditional way) to me never made sense. We had it done last year for the first time (accidentally - long story) and my suspicions were confirmed. Net caught the leaves alright, but then the combined weight of the leaves and the smallest amount of snow just drooped the whole mess into the pond for the entire winter. Dragging that out in the spring was a two person task. It was also aesthetically very unappealing. We enjoy our pond view all winter long - looking out at a droopy net and a bunch of PVC poles holding it up was rather depressing. We don't even get an inordinate amount of leaves in our pond - I feel for those of you who do!

Ask a Question