Some advice for a pump :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good Afternoon!

I am after some advice, I moved into the house 2 years ago and the pond was there, 2 fish are still alive in the pond and we have never fed them or had any pump running etc. Pond always attracts frogs and tadpoles and doesn't smell it must be doing it own thing and getting along nicely.

It does have a small waterfall feature only 50/60cm high and I know there was an old pump that is broken that I removed when I bought the house. judging by the picture what size pump do you think I would need per hour just to get the small water feature working and clean up the pond abit.

Thanks

Attachments

• 12301544_10153786155748799_4965739800417617107_n.jpg
    12301544_10153786155748799_4965739800417617107_n.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 191

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
congrats on your house and pond .Not sure what is available where you live but look at head height and energy efficient pumps .Are you planning on adding a filter .Do you know how much water is in the pond or the size of the pond and depth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
congrats on your house and pond .Not sure what is available where you live but look at head height and energy efficient pumps .Are you planning on adding a filter .Do you know how much water is in the pond or the size of the pond and depth

Thanks

I wasn't going to add a filter, just a small pump set up to power the waterfall and I'm hoping it will help the water become a littler better for the two fish we have in there.

I'm not sure on the actual size but at the shallow end its no more than 30cm deep, and possibly 60-90cm at the deep end, its half shallow and half deep split down the middle with a drop. Guessing I would say pond is 2.5m x 1.5m if it was squared off

I was looking at something that can produce a flow of water measuring 950 litres per hour (209 gallons per hour). but I'm not sure if they is way to small.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some pumps come with foam filters in them that you need to clean often

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome , if u can measure width of water fall from where water needs to flow .
Rule is 350 litres per hour of water per inch (2.5cms)
if u want in gallon u can convert it , this one is in liters

height is a factor too but i dont think it will have much affect as urs is 19 inch , u can increase few liters for height in the end, also check head height or head/jet pressure on pump its written whats its max height , suppose its max height is 2meter , then if ur waterfall is at 1 meter , it will have around 15% decrease in pressure

cant see ur waterfall in pic clearly

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good Afternoon!

I am after some advice, I moved into the house 2 years ago and the pond was there, 2 fish are still alive in the pond and we have never fed them or had any pump running etc. Pond always attracts frogs and tadpoles and doesn't smell it must be doing it own thing and getting along nicely.

It does have a small waterfall feature only 50/60cm high and I know there was an old pump that is broken that I removed when I bought the house. judging by the picture what size pump do you think I would need per hour just to get the small water feature working and clean up the pond abit.

Thanks
You should feed the fish it's probably why the others died and anytime you have a pond you will get frogs, etc. It's part of it. They help keep the pond clean from bugs (mosquitoes, etc.). Pump helps keep the pond clean and getting algae and other crap. If you don't care, find the fish home and fill it in. Where are you located; I can find the fish a home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
You should feed the fish it's probably why the others died and anytime you have a pond you will get frogs, etc. It's part of it. They help keep the pond clean from bugs (mosquitoes, etc.). Pump helps keep the pond clean and getting algae and other crap. If you don't care, find the fish home and fill it in. Where are you located; I can find the fish a home.
with this size of pond , few goldfishes can survive without filter and artificial feeding . but filter and pump makes it more healthy for them . atm if she has 2 fishes she has no necessity of food and pump , they have alot food in form of algae and other org .
suppose they spawned or had more fishes then nature will take some back and make it balanced

Ask a Question