Some help with Chloramine-T

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I bought NT Labs Koi Care Chloramine-T

Not to sure how to use it, on the packet it says : To treat bacterial infections use at a dose of 10g per 1000 gallons for 3 days.
Does that mean dose each day?

Also i heard something about make sure to bypass the filter, what does that mean?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I bought NT Labs Koi Care Chloramine-T

Not to sure how to use it, on the packet it says : To treat bacterial infections use at a dose of 10g per 1000 gallons for 3 days.

Also i heard something about make sure to bypass the filter, what does that mean?

I would recommend that you carefully and completely read the following before using Chloramine-T. pH and Water Hardness must be taken into consideration when determining correct and safe dosage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b

Yes that means you would give that dose each day. I've never used Chloramine-T but some other treatments like Proform-C recommend a 25% water change each day either right before or several hours after administering the treatment. Others like Praxi or Fluke-M have you NOT change the water. Bottom line: you'll want to know EXACTLY how to administer.

As far as bypassing the filters it means the treatment may (will likely) kill the good bacteria in your biofilter so if there is a way to bipass it you should.

LAST NOTE: lots of treatments really benefits from LOTS AND LOTS of aeration during the treatment. Not just a few bubbles but like a full boil. I'm not sure if Chloramine-T requires it but I would definitely get lots of air into the water if for no other reason than to mix the treatment really well.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks guys!

I recorded some underwater footage today, only checking them now.
It appears my koi has small holes on its head, hexamita?

Chloramine-T was just to lower bacteria for the winter. Now i find this.
Will Chloramine-T help with this?

Attachments

• vlc 2017-11-21 01-29-54-21.jpg
    vlc 2017-11-21 01-29-54-21.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 327
  • vlc 2017-11-21 01-33-56-26.jpg
    vlc 2017-11-21 01-33-56-26.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 277
  • vlc 2017-11-21 01-34-32-47.jpg
    vlc 2017-11-21 01-34-32-47.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Should I bring him in? I have 80ltr tub and cycled filter inside already that i use on the fry.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Chloramine-T was just to lower bacteria for the winter.

If this is the sole reason for using Chloramine-T.then I would scrap the idea. Chloramine-T is meant to be used as a treatment and not a prophylactic. These types of chemicals are non-specie specific, meaning that they will kill or seriously reduce all of the beneficial bacteria that exists in the pond, placing the pond's eco-system at a definite disadvantage not only during the Winter months but most assuredly come Spring.
Lower water temperatures will automatically retard any and all bacterial growth.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Okay that makes sense.

On the website I got them mentioned this and thought it be a good idea, but I'll hold off now.

Chloramine T reduces bacteria and parasites in pond water. During cold weather (autumn and springtime) use NT Labs Koi Care Chloramine T to keep parasitic protozoa numbers low in ponds until fish are stronger, more active and can resist them better. At low temperatures, when fish are slow, their immune system is sluggish. Parasites can compromise the fish before their defences have become fully active after the water has warmed up.

50g Treats 22730 litres (5000) gallons
Use a double dose to treat parasites as well as bacteria

Ask a Question