Some ideas - feedback needed

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Becky, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Becky

postmandug

Becky, even though I'm a new member here I have another suggestion. I'm also a subscriber to www.davesgarden.com. One of the features they have is what attracted me to their site in the first place. The Garden Watchdog is a member inspired listing of mail/internet gardening suppliers with the ability to post bad/good experiences with these companies. We could start a Pond Watchdog here and have members post their shopping, customer service, shipping experiences so that other members can decide if they want to utilize these companies themselves. I think it would be a natural fit with what you have going on here on this WONDERFUL site! Here's a link to the Garden Watchdog. See what you think.
    http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

Doug

postmandug, Jul 12, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Becky

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Wonder if there is a way to set up one of those links that shows where everyone is from. I know I have seen some sites that showed the different states in the US that everyone os from. was thinking it would be neat to see how many different location this site covers. it's pretty much world wide.

fishin4cars, Jul 13, 2012
    HARO and postmandug like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Becky

don't ask

Becky, I had posted in the feedback section earlier today but will c and p here as well...

hello all, it just occurred to me that most new people and even some not so new people often ask what a particular term or terminology means. was wondering if it's possible to create a new category under forums called something like pond terminology? that way everything is listed in one place and a person doesn't have to go from forum to forum to find their answer as it will be pinned there. also don't know how easy it would be to modify or add to an existing topic instead of creating another thread under the same classification. you could also recommend everyone to browse through that before posting a question, not that that will eliminate the same topic being brought up multiple times on threads but it might help.

Andre
    i looked through the topics but i didn't think this concept was mentioned

don't ask, Jul 15, 2012
  4. Becky

Becky Administrator

[quote name='postmandug' timestamp='1342101510' post='130308']
    Becky, even though I'm a new member here I have another suggestion. I'm also a subscriber to www.davesgarden.com. One of the features they have is what attracted me to their site in the first place. The Garden Watchdog is a member inspired listing of mail/internet gardening suppliers with the ability to post bad/good experiences with these companies. We could start a Pond Watchdog here and have members post their shopping, customer service, shipping experiences so that other members can decide if they want to utilize these companies themselves. I think it would be a natural fit with what you have going on here on this WONDERFUL site! Here's a link to the Garden Watchdog. See what you think.
    http://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

Doug
    [/quote]

Great idea Doug! I'll try and get it added this week :)

[quote name='fishin4cars' timestamp='1342138110' post='130398']
    Wonder if there is a way to set up one of those links that shows where everyone is from. I know I have seen some sites that showed the different states in the US that everyone os from. was thinking it would be neat to see how many different location this site covers. it's pretty much world wide.
    [/quote]

There is a way to do this, but it's a bit tricky. I'll ask Ian to take a look into it, and I should hopefully be able to report back soon.

[quote name='don't ask' timestamp='1342393062' post='130870']
    Becky, I had posted in the feedback section earlier today but will c and p here as well...
    [/quote]

I've replied to your suggestion in the other topic :)

Becky, Jul 16, 2012
  5. Becky

j.w I Love my Goldies

I'd like to know if you can change the search so that you can use 3 letter words in the search box. Tried to put in air pump the other day and it wouldn't let me search for it cuz air had only 3 letters.

j.w, Jul 16, 2012
  6. Becky

don't ask

j.w. i may be wrong on this but they probably could.. the issue would be that it would pull anything with those letters which would make your search more frustrating

don't ask, Jul 16, 2012
  7. Becky

j.w I Love my Goldies

So it would pull up everything w/ air in it. I finally put in aeration pump and it took me where I needed to go. Just had remembered we were talking on the subject of air pumps in a thread and figured that's what I needed to search for as those were the words used.

j.w, Jul 17, 2012
  8. Becky

Becky Administrator

Unfortunately j.w this is one thing that we cannot change :( It's a technical limitation of the database... but if there is something specific you are looking for then you could always use Google. To search for items specifically on GPF, type site:https://www.gardenpondforum.com/ into the search box followed by whatever you want to search for.

For example if you type site:https://www.gardenpondforum.com/ air pump into the search box then it brings up all pages on GPF which contain 'air pump'.

It's not an ideal solution I know! I wish we could change how the search works!

Becky, Jul 17, 2012
    j.w likes this.
  9. Becky

j.w I Love my Goldies

Thanks Becky good idea!

j.w, Jul 17, 2012
  10. Becky

Waterbug

I didn't know Google did that. Great tip, thanks. The search feature on most every site isn't normally very helpful so this will come in handy.

Waterbug, Jul 17, 2012
  11. Becky

Mmathis TurtleMommy

BECKY -- Great forum!

One suggestion that I know would at least be helpful to us who are newer to ponding would be a general "data base" of information on ponding. Something you could quickly access [in-forum] that would help you understand a phrase, word, or term being used by a poster. Like the "appendix" in a book. I find the "pinned" threads in the various topics to be helpful as a reference, but having an in-forum resource would be nice. Not talking about anything detailed -- just a brief reference [see my examples below]. This reference could possibly list links for further information. And IMHO, I think this info should be "read only," and not topics for discussion -- just a reference.

For example: TERMINOLOGY listing & briefly* explaining common terms used in ponding -- *and by briefly, I mean in just a few words, not a dissertation; FISH AILMENTS/THINGS YOU MIGHT RUN ACROSS with a description of each of the more common ones. For example, I've been reading about peoples' fish "flashing....." Never got around to posting to ask what this was [I know now -- came across it on another site somewhere], but wondered every time I read it. Nothing detailed, just WHAT it is, how you'd recognize it -- wouldn't even have to go into treatment or anything. Under any of these informational topics [TERMINOLOGY, FISH AILMENTS, ETC.], each one could "rate" the term or condition as to whether it was a normal occurance (as in, do nothing), or abnormal (as in, seek help), with links for more information.

The "search" function isn't at all good for looking up these kinds of things. Sometimes all I want to know is "what are they talking about?" so I can get back to reading the thread.

Some quicky examples I thought of:

FLASHING: [describe behavior] Usually an indication of a problem with the fish or the environment. Abnormal. SEE: WATER TESTING, etc. etc.

SKIPPY: a type of DIY biological filter

BIOLOGICAL FILTER: a process where naturally occuring microbes reduce harmfull subtances in the water. Also, a filter designed for this purpose.

ALGAE: [description] Normal occurance.

CYCLING: the process a new pond goes through, etc, etc. Ususally takes X # of weeks. SEE: NITROGEN CYCLE.

NITROGEN CYCLE: [brief as in ammonia to nitrite to nitrate] SEE: list a few threads or external links that go into more detail.

WINTERIZING: getting your pond prepared for colder weather. SEE: list some links such as "fish care," "plant care"

DOC'S: disolved organic compounds

ETC., ETC.

Sorry this is so long.

Mmathis, Jul 23, 2012
    fishin4cars and Becky like this.
  12. Becky

Becky Administrator

Update!

The Member Map has now been added, the link is in a topic pinned within the News & Announcements forum section.

We have also added a forum section called 'Vendor Evaluations', so please feel free to share your thoughts and opinions on vendors there.

Mmathis - thank you so much for your suggestions! We would very much like to add a glossary of terms, but it will take time. We'll keep you posted :)

Becky, Jul 24, 2012
    Mmathis, postmandug, addy1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Becky

singhlakhy

does this forum have apps for android and iphone ? it will be best so evebody could have acess at anytime

singhlakhy, Sep 29, 2013
  14. Becky

Becky Administrator

There is not an app for Garden Pond Forum, but if you log in through your mobile browser you will be taken to a mobile version of the site - hope this helps! This is something that will be significantly improved over the next couple of months, so watch this space :)

Becky, Oct 1, 2013
    addy1 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question