some input

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Ok I came across the product which was called fish pond dye which comes in black and blue and crystal blue and so on which gives your pond a tint to protect it from the sun and blocking out all kinds of stuff that's bad for the pond, lake.

I figured since my pond is in direct sun light that this product would work out great for me. Has anyone used it or tryed it cause all I've seen was great reviews on this.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
neighbor used it and put to much in and had a problem with her pump and guess who had blue arms for a week .It did not cause the problem with the pump but she should have cleaned the pump first and read directions

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Lol that's funny I read something about some guy did the same thing but everything was ok but he did not start looking like a smurf lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well I looked like a smurf ,next time Tammy puts it in and needs help she is going for a swim .I know some put it in to shade the pond but it does effect your view of the fish .They do not look as pretty as the water with dye in it makes there colors look funky .I saw that some of her plants turn alittle also .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Personally not a fan of the dyed pond look. To me it looks more "pool" than "pond" at that point. I'm not sure how effective it is at doing what it's supposed to do, but there are definitely other ways to create shade for your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
Yea I guess your right the picture I have is my pond I justed built it up with flag stones so I was thinking but having a hard time finding it by me is to get some kind of flat long rock like 4 feet in length and go over the top with it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I wonder if you could try a big potted plant strategically placed to cast shade, or even a large patio umbrella. A flat rock over the top of the pond would block your view of the water, which is the point of the pond, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
New Jersey zone 4
Country
United States
I have a butterfly Busch that I planted but they way I did the pond is hard to plant more flowers inless some how I can put flowers in between the rocks or some how make a box using some flag stone glued together were I could add dirt and some more flowers in between the rocks.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Id plant a Japanese Maple on one end of the pond and have it grow over the pond or at least half of it to create shade and it would look great. I wouldnt dye the water or put that rock over the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I first started ponding i bought a bunch of stuff including dye because I thought I needed to get it. I never used it after the first time but from what I understand if your fish are jittery because of preditors the dye will reduce their stress because they will be harder to see. I wouldn't use it for shade from the sun. A lot of the above suggestions are very good. Some ideas are a trellis on the sunny side, floating plants such as water lettuce and water hydrenga, water lilies, and any kind of planter or plant next to the pond that blocks the sun, sculptures, a garage or shed etc.will all work

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
....Or your pond is small enough where 6 water hyacinths would create enough shade by taking up an entire corner. The fish will school under the hyacinths if they feel threatened by a predator or want some shade. Thats the cheapest and easiest way of accomplishing what you want but still think that Japanese Maple would look nice too planted on one side of the pond and overhanging a corner. I think the pond dye is ugly and unnatural. Id plant a Japanese Maple and throw a few water hyacinths in there..

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
gives your pond a tint to protect it from the sun and blocking out all kinds of stuff that's bad for the pond, lake.

Am not aware of this "all kinds of bad stuff". I do know that pond dye helps control problem algae growth by blocking the sun's rays from penetrating very deep into the water, thus blocking any photosynthetic processes which problem algae need to live and grow. However, this blocking action extends to all of the good algae that grows on all of the submerged surfaces, the existence of which is crucial to the bio-chemical balance of the pond's eco-system. Oxygen production will be greatly affected negatively and carbon cycling will be restricted. A healthy pond needs at least 4 hours of sunlight per day for all of the bio-chemical processes to function properly.
So, if you really want to disrupt the bio-chemical balance of your pond then, yes, most certainly add Pond dye.

Ask a Question