Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Today is a special day to me personally as it marks my 7th year sober from alcohol so just wanted to share the news in case anyone else has ever struggled with this addiction. I was an alcoholic for about 10 years from age 14 to 26 off and on and finally had enough and as I said today is 7 years sober :D My stepfather was a tyrant who used to think that beating me bloody would fix me but I finally put him in icu when I was 23 (no regrets there) and got sober soon after so anytime you think it is too much trust me someone else has already been there and made it out ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've been there my friend I once drank for England then in 1997 I underwent REM therapy for childhood Post Traumatic Stess Disorder[PTSD].
A naval shrink once labled me as alcoholic but as my clinical phycologist said to me they are often wrong because they only treat what they see symptom wise .
I drank to unconsciousness to stop the night mares that I had night after night after night .
The REM therapy puts these bad memories into the place they should be in my subconsicous memory where they are locked away , however trauma of any kind can bring them to the fore again as I found in 2012 after we had a break in , however much older and wiser I went straight back to see the clinical phycologist .
I shook him by the hand thanked him for the last 17 years of my life and the happness I have now found and that I hope he could store these memories away again which he did .
However it pays to have a strong other half and in my Val I have that , she stuck with me through thick and thin.
I choose now not to drink because my problem has been removed however I must watch out for trauma like being broken into lest they escape again.
I have every respect for you Bro congaratulationson 7 years sober my friend :cool:

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I've been there my friend I once drank for England then in 1997 I underwent REM therapy for childhood Post Traumatic Stess Disorder[PTSD].
A naval shrink once labled me as alcoholic but as my clinical phycologist said to me they are often wrong because they only treat what they see symptom wise .
I drank to unconsciousness to stop the night mares that I had night after night after night .
The REM therapy puts these bad memories into the place they should be in my subconsicous memory where they are locked away , however trauma of any kind can bring them to the fore again as I found in 2012 after we had a break in , however much older and wiser I went straight back to see the clinical phycologist .
I shook him by the hand thanked him for the last 17 years of my life and the happness I have now found and that I hope he could store these memories away again which he did .
However it pays to have a strong other half and in my Val I have that , she stuck with me through thick and thin.
I choose now not to drink because my problem has been removed however I must watch out for trauma like being broken into lest they escape again.
I have every respect for you Bro congaratulationson 7 years sober my friend :cool:

Dave
That means alot from you my friend as we have alot of common ground in our life stories (bad father etc) so thank you ;)
PS: I think I only drank for Wales, Northern Ireland and The Isle of Mann lol sorry

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Congratulations on your sobriety Marshall and also for sharing, I'm sure there are those who struggle with addiction on this forum.
I DO NOT HAVE A POND PROBLEM THOUGH... ;):D
I tease about a tough subject but again, kudos to you for all your hard work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Marshall have you ever thought of undegoing REM therapy bro because I think you may well have had PTSD yourself ,
One thing you can do though is carry on with your rescues maye even open a turtle park :LOL:
You could like me dive head first into learning everything you need to know health wise for koi .
There are vets books out there on Amazon that will take you through the Anethatisation of small animals , of turtles, koi etc [might be worth a buy my friend however aLLow me to track it down for you.
I've done the same for Bettasngoldfish/Maria before finding her a book worth £260+ for the heady price of £19.00 UKP. it was by Austin and Austin and is called Bacterial fish pathogens, you could say I love the chase :LOL:
I've also tracked down books on bettas and goldfish for her as well as the book on Fish pathogens vol 4

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Marshall have you ever thought of undegoing REM therapy bro because I think you may well have had PTSD yourself ,
One thing you can do though is carry on with your rescues maye even open a turtle park :LOL:
You could like me dive head first into learning everything you need to know health wise for koi .
There are vets books out there on Amazon that will take you through the Anethatisation of small animals , of turtles, koi etc [might be worth a buy my friend however aLLow me to track it down for you.
I've done the same for Bettasngoldfish/Maria before finding her a book worth £260+ for the heady price of £19.00 UKP. it was by Austin and Austin and is called Bacterial fish pathogens, you could say I love the chase :LOL:
I've also tracked down books on bettas and goldfish for her as well as the book on Fish pathogens vol 4

Dave
The books would be a good idea but as far as the rescue goes I will be away for 20 days for my trip to Belfast in December so when I get back I will hook up with you on that ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The books would be a good idea but as far as the rescue goes I will be away for 20 days for my trip to Belfast in December so when I get back I will hook up with you on that ;)
Pop over and see us mate you can see the koi then and our almost finished progect :LOL:
Bro can you PM me your email address please ?

Dave

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
That's awesome Marshall. We all know someone if not our self's that's beat down the demon of addiction.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Today is a special day to me personally as it marks my 7th year sober from alcohol so just wanted to share the news in case anyone else has ever struggled with this addiction. I was an alcoholic for about 10 years from age 14 to 26 off and on and finally had enough and as I said today is 7 years sober :D My stepfather was a tyrant who used to think that beating me bloody would fix me but I finally put him in icu when I was 23 (no regrets there) and got sober soon after so anytime you think it is too much trust me someone else has already been there and made it out ;)
Congratulations!!

Ask a Question