Some pics of my fishies

Reaction score
Well, here's an update on my fishies!

I have had my fish for a month or so now. They were shipped to me all the way from Louisiana from a friend of mine. When they arrived here they were skittish and swam away when I wasn't even near the pond at all. I had a hard time getting them to eat for me at first and had the make the flakes sink, so they'd see them as they were too frightened to come up to the surface to feed.

Since then they have come a long ways. They are now friendly, outgoing,and are showing their little personalities. They have also grown a good 2" since I got them, too. Probably cause I spoil them.

2435_sam_0028.jpg

From top to bottom and then back up the second row. Martin, Susan, Steve, Darcy, Goldy, Rin, Clara, Lucy and Stump. Lawrenzo isn't in this pic. I have 10 lovely fishies. They are Sarasa Comets and Shubunkins. Most have big flowing tails and fins, like a butterfly koi. They are between 5"-8" long.

2435_sam_0005.jpg

My fishies now eat food out of my hand and when I reach in the water they give me fish kisses to show they love me. They also like to be petted and I can reach into the pond and run my hand along their sides.

2435_sam_0002.jpg

2435_sam_0003.jpg

2435_sam_0027.jpg

Another shot of the fishies.

2435_sam_0015.jpg

My homemade feeding ring. Just a plastic lid that I cut a hole in. I left about 1/2 an inch on the edges so it would float. I tied it to a rock with some twine so it wouldn't float away. I have been trying out new types of food. They don't like this as much as my other kinds I've tried.

2435_sam_0013.jpg

This is Martin making a splash. They sun on the ledge around the pond and swim off really quickly when I startle them. I thought Goldy was dead Yesterday, cause she was laying on her side on the ledge, but when I walked over, she just swam off. The ledge is a section of the pong around the edge that is 2"-3" deep. They love to lay in the sun for hours.

2435_sam_0020.jpg

Clara, Is she Gravid? I am just curious as only a few of my fish look like this, all chubby I mean. The others are slender. Are the slender ones males, then? I hope so, cause i want babies!

2435_sam_0021.jpg

And Stump, she has a shorter, stumpy tail. She is a shubunkin and I know some have stumpy tails, but the rest of my fish have like 2-3" long, flowing tails and fins that are longer and more like a butterfly koi. She must just be special or perhaps a calico common goldfish, but that is pretty unlikely.

2435_sam_0022.jpg

Lorenzo.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Nice looking fish, Where in Louisiana did they come from? Clara does look like it could be a young female starting to form eggs. Still way to cold for them to do much so it may swell then shrink back down again, That's not uncommon,. happens when the water goes through warming trends and some fish start producing eggs. Oh and shubunkins are just common Comets. They just have three or more colors. That's a short fin Shubunkin and I do like it's color pattern.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice fish, and so tame!

Yes, from where in Louisiana, out of curiosity? Larkin & I live there, here, whatever....just in different parts of the state.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
very nice photo;s of your fish like us you must have the fish bug bad by naming your fsh lol

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

I got them from a friend is southern Louisiana. They aren't from a fish farm, just a backyard pond owner who had too many fish and wanted to help out a friend.

I do love my fish and every pet here has a name, so only fitting that I'd name the fish too! The key to friendly fish is treats and patience. Feed them everytime you walk by and they will associate you with food. The key to a fishy heart.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice fish you have there! pretty

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Really nice looking fish and how did your friend ship them to you and did they all make it there fine?

Reaction score
The fish were Shipped to me priority mail. They arrived in 2 days and were all just fine. Nobody even seemed to be phased by the shipping and they were all active and normal when they arrived. I acclimated them and dumped them into the pond and they immediately went to being fish.

Fish actually ship pretty well and there isn't always a need for expensive overnight shipping as most use unless there is going to be some extreme weather that week. Goldfish and koi are really hardy and I've never had a problem with either method of shipping.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow you mean they just put them in a plastic bag and then in a box? How do they get air? I assume they put in some kind of oxygen pills or something?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Boy LiL John bro, you must really love the way we give you the shaft cuz you just keep on asking for it but then again if you didn't we'd think you were ill :LOL:

Reaction score
There is enough oxygen in the water to last them a few days. They just put them in with regular water from the pond/aquarium and fill the rest of the bag with air and the natural diffusion of the water keeps them going.

I actually realize 10 days later after counting the fish that I'd left Lucy in the bag all that time with the same water. OOPS! She was perfectly fine with no problems at all. I'm just glad that I didn't throw the bag away!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Poor Lucy, and sure glad you counted them and found her safe!

About the shipping again.........That's amazing I didn't think fish would be able to survive a trip like that in just a bag w/o special oxygen pumped in the bag........but wait when you say they filled the bag w/ air do you mean they used a hose thingy to fill the bag w/air/oxygen or they just closed up the bag w/ just the air that was already in the bag? Sorry for being so precise on this but I have just got to know all the facts,lol!

Ask a Question