Some pondside plant suggestions

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan

Hey guys. When you go to 01:00 and 03:00 in the video, the guy puts some pondside plants. What are these plants called?

And can you name a couple plants for using in the rocks or next to the pond? I am in 8 zone.

Thank you.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Do you mean the grasses? No idea about the purple one, but he called the green one Japanese Acorus which is (I looked it up) a sweet flag.

Are you looking for tall plants, creeping plants, bushy plants? There are a lot to recommend but depends on the "look" you're going for.

Loved the cute little goat!

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Mmathis, yes. That was the name i was looking for. Thank you.

Ok. Let's be little more specific. Any idea of those creeping plants in this picture?

ponds-2887-garden-with-pond-3008-x-2000.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Creeping Jenny, maybe? It's a low-growing plant that you can put among rocks and in crevises. It looks very nice to cover an area as it "creeps" over the rocks.

I really can't tell enough from the picture about any specific plant, but if you have any more pics with plants that you like, maybe you can tell us which ones look nice to you. If we can't tell you the specific plant, may be able to offer suggestions. IOW, indicate where in the picture you want us to look.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He called the black sword type plant in the video a new variety of Purple Lily but I sure can't find any info on the net about it. It is really cool and I want it!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
He called the black sword type plant in the video a new variety of Purple Lily but I sure can't find any info on the net about it. It is really cool and I want it!
I caught that, too, but no idea if that was a real name or just something he was calling it. Yes, very pretty!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I posted a question to him on you tube so maybe I will find out soon. Looks kind of like Black Mondo grass but the leaves look wider on his.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe @Mmathis although I thought the leaves on his were a bit wider. If he answers me I will post it. I looked up that Black Madras and says only half hardy so if that's it I can't plant it here. Wonder where ponddigger does his ponds? Is he a member here as I thought I saw a ponddigger on here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@j.w Not exactly, but on the right trail, maybe?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I did a member search for pond digger and came up empty. I thought I remembered that, too. Anyway, I like the plant and may have to search for some....

Reaction score
Country
Azerbaijan
Guys, we don't have that plant here in Azerbaijan anyways. But thanks soooo much for doing the research for me.

By the way i found some Sweet Flag but they only sell the bulb. Not the plant. How fast is it gonna grow?

I am buying creeping jenny too. Very nice plant.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So how many of those new plants do you think the goat is going to eat?? :LOL:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Guys, we don't have that plant here in Azerbaijan anyways. But thanks soooo much for doing the research for me.

By the way i found some Sweet Flag but they only sell the bulb. Not the plant. How fast is it gonna grow?

I am buying creeping jenny too. Very nice plant.
Can you mail order plants?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@j.w Not exactly, but on the right trail, maybe?
View attachment 94304 View attachment 94305

I did a member search for pond digger and came up empty. I thought I remembered that, too. Anyway, I like the plant and may have to search for some....
Ya know that could be it and if so we are again too cold for that one and if he's in Southern Cal then a lot of the plants he uses might not be hardy here. Oh well thanks for looking TM :)

Ask a Question