Some things are running around the pond!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was looking at some night time surveillance footage of my pond and I found this clip:

They seem even a little too fast for my neighbor's cat (he came looking for frogs). They seem to be around 8 inches long. Maybe a salamander? I've never seen them in the daytime.

Any ideas would be appreciated

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
As fast as they are I would guess mice or some other rodent.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
could they be flying? Looks like dragon flies to me
the other day something set off my door cam and when I first saw it, it appeared to be bird attacking the house, but in slow mo it was a beetle attacking the cam. lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Slow-motion definitely shows that it's a dragonfly. Looks big because it's up in the air and not on the ground, so the perspective can fool you.

Dragonfly.. wouldn’t think they are night fliers

You'd be surprised how many "daytime" insects can fly at night, even if uncommon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes! Dragonflies! That makes perfect sense. I've seen some pretty good sized ones buzzing around the pond during the day. The footage is from around 8:30 so it wasn't that late and it explains why the cat was rather confused. It also explains why I've had next to NO little fish these past couple of years. Not that I'm complaining: I have enough fish but it seems that dragonfly nymphs love to eat little fish and tadpoles. I mush have quite a nymph nursery in the shallow end!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looked immediately like a dragonfly to me. But night videos can be perplexing.
I was once looking at my porch security camera footage that was recorded at night. There was what appeared to be light orbs flying all around. It looked like some sort of alien orbs you would see on one of those unexplained mystery TV shows. Well, I'm sure it was just flying bugs and the reflection of the camera's infrared light made them look like alien orbs. It was definately cool looking, but also a little mysterious at first glance.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It also explains why I've had next to NO little fish these past couple of years
I have tons of dragon fly nymphs and baby fish, they don't get them all. I welcome any population control that comes along, naturally.

Ask a Question