Some things just defy explanation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So you may remember that we had a disastrous winter and lost all of our big koi. (Plumbing issue + polar vortex = sad winter pond). As I was pulling dead fish out of my pond, I was keeping track - they all had names and distinctive colors, so I knew each one as I scooped and bagged them up. When I had pulled out all the fish I could see, I counted and realized - there was one more, but I couldn't find him anywhere. I would check every day, but nothing. Then the snow and ice returned to the pond and I knew I would have to wait for warmer weather for that last grim task.

The ice finally melted and the pond was running again, but I knew: there was one more dead fish to deal with. And he was a black koi to boot - not easy to see in clear water, and we still had a bit of a murky pond going on. I was dreading finding him - the water was warmer and I was worried about the condition the fish would be in before I could get him out. Frozen dead fish were bad enough - a decomposing dead fish would be far worse. And I worried that maybe he was stuck in the cave... would I have to get in there and feel around for him??:sick:

So one day last week I was out by the pond, just counting goldfish and looking for some of my favorites and WHO do I see SWIMMING in the pond but that big, black koi! He SURVIVED! How I have NO idea, but there he was, looking fat and happy... and like a whale amongst all those goldfish. haha! I don't know if he's just naturally stronger than the other koi, or if the other ones just died faster and he was left with enough oxygen to survive... I don't imagine we'll ever know. But I am grateful to have one of my big guys left. My daughter said "oh great mom... one fish lives and it has to be the one we can barely see!" But that's OK - they say a black koi brings good luck to a pond. And that is one lucky fish for sure!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've told my story about Lazarus Fish. In a home aquarium no less! Where do they hide? So glad you have one of your fish left from the winter disaster!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
That's so great! I love my big black koi, and always consider him a good luck charm. Very sorry that you lost so many though. I'm right there with you on names and personalities, and I often find myself doing a roll call or head count.

Ask a Question