Something eating water lettuce

Reaction score
Does anyone else have something eating their water lettuce and what can I do about it? My water lettuce has small holes in it. I have pulled them out of the pond and cannot see any type of bugs. :banghead3:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Might be glass worms. I know they will make round holes in lily pads. They are very hard to see as they are clear and very small. To eradicate them, you need to wipe them off (soft brush, paper towel). A lot of plant pests don't like water (aphids, mites), so if it's not glass worms (or just for the heck of it) wash the WL off with a strong blast of water from the hose.

Reaction score
Thanks Anitapond, after looking more carefully I was able to see the some type of worm on the under side of the water lettuce leaves. I just crushed them with my fingers. I hope I got them all.

BBK

Reaction score
A good way to clean bugs off aquatic plants is to get a bucket with a 50 to 1 bleach solution. Dunk the plant in there and swoosh it around. Take it out and immediately rinse it with cold tap water and then get it in the pond. This will kill anything holding on the plant.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i know what eating them and they are hiacynths, but.. my fish finally discovered the tastey treat that waits for them in the bulbous portion of the stems... i wont have hiacynths any more now..one was pulled apart yesterday!... today...almost total hiacynth devistation!

Reaction score
If you have worms eating your plants, use Bacillus Thuringiensis (Bt). Here in NW FL, of course, we have a lot of creatures that eat our plants. I spray a diluted mixture of BT nearly every day onto the pads and the spots and holes in my lilies have stopped.

Reaction score
The problem seems to be stopping. I am wondering if the koi have found them and are making them a tasty snack. I will keep that stuff you recommended in mind. Thanks

Ask a Question